What kind of chick is this?

tabithas

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 7, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Got three new two day old chicks today. They were shipped as a part of an assortment of brown egg laying chicks. The man that ordered them had a list of possible breeds, but did not know what was what. I asked him to set aside 3 for me. I got a yellow one, a black one with yellow underside, and a little speckeled one. Any guesses as to breeds? Especially the speckled one?
Here is all three together.

Little speckles

Speckles from the back.

speckles from the side

black one

yellow one...will probably have to wait to see how she grows up to know what she is.

I agree with the possible australorp and buff orpington, but not sure about the easter egger because they were all supposed to be brown egg layers...but I would be happy if thats what she is!

I agree with the possible australorp and buff orpington, but not sure about the easter egger because they were all supposed to be brown egg layers...but I would be happy if thats what she is!
EE can lay brown eggs
smile.png
I have 2 that lay pinkish brown eggs

Agree on the black australorp. The yellow one may also be a golden comet or a NHR (she looks very much like my golden comets and New Hampshire Reds at that age). I have no clue on the speckled one. I don't see any muffs or eartufts on that one so I kinda doubt that it is an EE.

Easter Egger was not on the list of possible breeds I was given. After looking up all the breeds on the list, I think it looks most like a Dark Cornish, which is a bit of a bummer as from what research I have done, they are mostly meat birds and very poor layers. But its super cute and even if it doesn't lay well, it will just become a pet...as long as it doesn't turn out to be a rooster!

Dark cornish would rock! They're not the cornish cross meat birds that eat themselves to death, but a gamey type bird with tight feathers and huge legs and breasts. They're not stellar layers, but they're good mommas if you chose to go that route later.

I second the australorp, and think you'll just have to wait on the yellow chick. I don't know if the first one IS a dark cornish, but it isn't an easter egger. Straight comb, yellow legs, no beard or muffs.

Post back in a few weeks and let us know how they're looking!

Ok...so here are some updated pics. They are now just over 4 weeks old. All feathering out nicely, and I still have no clue what breeds they are! Anyone have new guesses to my little mystery chicks breeds and possibly if they are boys or girls?

speckels aka Penelope...thought to possibly be a dark cornish?

penelope

Matilda...possibly a new hampshire red? or Gold comet?

Sara...Australorp or jersey giant?

Back
Top Bottom