What kind of chicken are these 2 birds?

kmooney

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 23, 2014
We were given these 2 birds when they were about 2 1/2 months old. They are now about 5 months old and I'm wondering what kind of bird they are and if they could possibly be cockerels. They are bigger than all the other grown hens, but are still submissive to the the older hens. Any help would be appreciated.

I was afraid of that. They have not started to crow. We have 10 hens. There are 3 that are adult, the other 7 are 15 weeks old. What will happen if we keep both roosters? Will they fight?

I was afraid of that. They have not started to crow. We have 10 hens. There are 3 that are adult, the other 7 are 15 weeks old. What will happen if we keep both roosters? Will they fight?

I agree that they are both mixed breed roosters. With only 10 hens, I would get rid of one of the 2 roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in this regard. If one of the roosters is more aggressive than the other one, I would get rid of the more aggressive rooster as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock.

Back
Top Bottom