What kind of chicken do I have?

Mauchick

Hatching
Mar 12, 2018
Hi everyone, I just registered to the forum because I need help with my new two babies. I got them from school (they hatched using incubator at school) and at 3 weeks old they were donated to students. They hatched on February 10th.
We are fostering 2 babies but not sure what kind they are? And also, at what age can I send them to their forever home? (My cousin has a chicken coop, I cannot keep them in the suburban area where we live)
They are very sweet and playful. Their names, HenSolo and ChickPea
Thanks!

8613CD05-49F7-40BB-BEDA-78F549BEB05E.jpeg
5DFA2D65-A441-4E25-82B3-498B8118E026.jpeg
892E08C0-CF99-4B2B-886D-74D68A4AD69D.jpeg

Last edited:
Red chicks like this are always hard to tell but possibilities include; red sex-links (though they seem a little dark for that), buckeye, rhode island red (probably most likley). Chickens aren't very hard regarding when you can send them to another home as some are shipped as day olds, a few week olds etc. really any stage of life. So whenever you're ready or found them a suitable home they will be fine:). Creative names also, love them!

Red chicks like this are always hard to tell but possibilities include; red sex-links (though they seem a little dark for that), buckeye, rhode island red (probably most likley). Chickens aren't very hard regarding when you can send them to another home as some are shipped as day olds, a few week olds etc. really any stage of life. So whenever you're ready or found them a suitable home they will be fine:). Creative names also, love them!

Thank you for your reply.
I was wondering if they are still too young to be mixed with other adult chicken?

You don't want to put them outside full time until they are pretty much fully feathered (like the picture below) and it's a steady 60-70 degrees outside with sun and no wind, rain or such is ideal but don't wait too long...
IMG_3154.JPG
...then you need to integrate them using some sort of see but don't touch so the older chickens get used to them being around but can't hurt them. Here's a good BYC article on it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-integrate-your-chicken-flock-the-easy-way.63034/

They look like hatchery quality RIRs.
Depending on where you live, and how cold it is, you should be able to put them out around 7 weeks. By that time, they will be weaned off the lamp. Make sure they still have a warm, secure coop to get in though, and if you still have cold days, a lamp would be good.

Back
Top Bottom