1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what kind of chicken do i want

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wnthunting, Aug 14, 2011.

1. wnthunting

wnthunting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    ny
    I want to get a couple of hens that lay really dark brown eggs but they have to be cold hardy because i live in new york. Whst kind of chicken do i want???

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Maran's lay the dark chocolate brown eggs. I'm pretty sure they are cold hardy, they were sold at the farm store where I bought my chicks.

3. NewMommy123

NewMommy123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Grapeview,WA
    I agree Maran's are good layers and are cold hardy. I recommend them! Australorps are also good layer, they may not lay the dark dark eggs that you want but they are REALLY good layers! Rhode Island Reds are another breed that I recommend. They are good layers, have a sweet disposition and are fun to watch. I have three of them named Bertha, Hannah and Lucy. Hannah is the sweetest and will often run over to me to be picked up and loves hug.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Cocoa Marans, dark chocolate eggs...I have Australorps and RIR also...you can't go wrong with any of them...

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Rhode Island reds are pretty awesome! I'll find out in a day or so what color eggs she'll lay. My RIR was in the nest box for 40 min today, but no egg. My RIR does well in the heat as well.

6. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Barnevelders lay dark eggs!.....not AS dark as Marans sometimes.. but still dark
    Welsummers lay terra cotta colored eggs with freckles! [​IMG]

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Love Welsummers! Can't speak for Marans nor Barnvelders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by