what kind of chicken do i want

wnthunting

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
ny
I want to get a couple of hens that lay really dark brown eggs but they have to be cold hardy because i live in new york. Whst kind of chicken do i want???

Maran's lay the dark chocolate brown eggs. I'm pretty sure they are cold hardy, they were sold at the farm store where I bought my chicks.

I agree Maran's are good layers and are cold hardy. I recommend them! Australorps are also good layer, they may not lay the dark dark eggs that you want but they are REALLY good layers! Rhode Island Reds are another breed that I recommend. They are good layers, have a sweet disposition and are fun to watch. I have three of them named Bertha, Hannah and Lucy. Hannah is the sweetest and will often run over to me to be picked up and loves hug.

Last edited:
Rhode Island reds are pretty awesome! I'll find out in a day or so what color eggs she'll lay. My RIR was in the nest box for 40 min today, but no egg. My RIR does well in the heat as well.

Barnevelders lay dark eggs!.....not AS dark as Marans sometimes.. but still dark
Welsummers lay terra cotta colored eggs with freckles!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom