What kind of chickens?

jnoble243

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
North Carolina
Hi, I have never had chickens before and ended up getting some from the feed store. I'm not sure which kind they are they told me they could either be cornish, leghorn, maybe Plymouth Rock. Mine are 8 weeks old right now.... Any ideas? I asked them a few weeks after I got them so they didn't remember what kind they had then.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

You can rule out Cornish X's or Cornish. Likely they are Leghorns (the worlds best chicken
wee.gif
). I've had rocks (two barred rocks chicks right now) before and they are more stout, short and plump. Leghorns pullets have a distinct rise to the tail feathers that make them fly really good and stand out. Looks like those tail feathers are coming in.

Wish you the best.

Thanks I was hoping they weren't cornish!! Since I got them for eggs.... I have read that leghorns are nervous and hard to handle. They seem pretty friendly for the most part until u try to pick one up lol.

Welcome to BYC. Look like leghorns to me. If they develop white earlobes, they are leghorns for sure. Leghorns can be flighty, but if you work calmly around them, they will come to trust you.

Back
Top Bottom