What Kind of comb is this? Genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 6Happiness, Mar 10, 2011.

1. 6Happiness

6Happiness Songster

May 31, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's just a dubbed single comb. Often people dub (clip) single combs to prevent frostbite, injury, or to show their birds. (some breeds like Old English require dubbing to be shown)

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I had a bird who had a very similar comb occur (no dubbing) with a combination of pea and single comb. Here is a photo of him:
    [​IMG]

4. 6Happiness

6Happiness Songster

May 31, 2010
    Quote:Oh yes, I should have clarified, sorry. I know many such examples are from dubbing, but I've seen / heard of cases where they just hatched that way- presumably genetic. The next post after yours actually someone posted an example of what I was looking for :)

5. 6Happiness

6Happiness Songster

May 31, 2010
    Quote:Thanks Sonoran Silkies, that's the kind of comb I'm talking about! :)

Does this always tend to happen when pea and SC are combined, or do you think your bird's comb was more of a fluke? I kinda rather like it, and if it is possible to select for, would like to do so in one of my lines, just for fun- especially on a very sleek game kind of bird... those birds seem so reptilian almost, and this kind of crest reminds me of a dinosaur crest... [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Single and pea comb genes can combine and give several different appearances; probably the weirdest is what looks like a double single comb--starts in the front as a single comb, then rapidly splits out into two sawteeth blades that form a V when looked at from above.

As for Cocky Locky's, I know I have one of his sons (most precocious rooster I've ever had or known of--he started crowing at 2 WEEKS!), but I don't recall his comb type. Lost Cocky Locky over the winter--he was a very tiny little guy. His son is equally small, and pretty odd looking--very hard, short silkie feathering. You have to look close to realize he is silkied. I have a little black girl with nearly as hard and definitely short silkie feathering. One thing I can say, on him you can sure see the patterns.

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    Single comb that has been frozen will also look like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: