What kind of comb is this???

MrOrpington16

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
MA
This is my EE's comb... I have no idea.. It's like a straight comb but fat and small like a pea comb... She is 71/2 to 8 months.. No eggs... What color will her eggs brabably be?? Thank you!!

I can’t answer definitely on that. It depends a whole lot on what other breeds are in her background. In addition to the blue egg laying breeds, Brahma, Buckeye, Cornish, Cubalaya, and other breeds could give a pea comb. Any breed that has a Walnut comb could contribute a pea comb gene. Just because a hen has a pea comb does not mean that it will lay a blue/green egg.

However it’s a good sign. If that pea comb came from a chicken with the blue egg gene, the blue egg gene is so close on the DNA that it follows the pea comb gene 97% of the time. I can’t give you any guarantees but I’d be real encouraged.

Good luck!

Wyandottes have a pea comb and brown eggs....just to rain on your parade a little. :)
Uh, no, Wyandottes have rose combs.

There are birds with pea combs that don't lay colored eggs, like Brahmas, but genetically the pea comb and the blue genes are closely linked. That's why it took forever and a day for the guy who made Cream Crested Legbars to get colored eggs and straight combs.

So it is a pea comb .. I think she is mixed with Maran because of the very faint barring around her neck.. She also has stray feathers on her feet... Maybe an olive egger?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom