What kind of coop or pen in needed for Meat Birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mybelle5, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mybelle5

mybelle5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Memphis TN
    Im wondering does a meat bird Live in a coop? [​IMG] What type of coop or pen should they be raised until it time to process them.

Sorry.. I've never done this before and I'm about to venture into raising chickens for eggs and meat and need some expert advice..

Thanks,

Michele

2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Look into chicken tractors for meat birds.They are too heavy to roost like layers and should be raised outside on fresh ground.
    Do a search on the chicken tractors,there is a ton of stuff on here about it. Will

3. mybelle5

Dec 19, 2008
    Memphis TN
    You Rock! thank you so much..

4. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I use an old recycled swing set frame covered in chicken wire and a large tarp to keep it fairly dry inside. For meat birds, don't get too fancy (like I did, but that coop and run is for my egg layers now). If there is a chance of predators (or dogs that people ignorantly let run free) keep the wire small, and double up with sturdy wire, between opposums and a local dog, I lost several birds last year.

5. mybelle5

Dec 19, 2008
    Memphis TN
    [​IMG] I have to say the recycled swing set frame set up is one of the most cleaverest yet. I laugh cuz I cant drive past any junk wood or trash day without looking for stuff to use to make chicken coops.. This chicken stuff is addicting.. I need a twelve step chicken program! [​IMG]

6. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Quote:Maybe we should start a support group, I do the same thing. When we were rearranging my daughter's rooms they have a large barbie house that happens to have four 12x12x12 inch "rooms", and my thought was if the girls don't want that anymore, I can turn it into nest boxes in my next coop (egg layers of course). I am pretty proud of my swingset run, I need to post some pictures sometime, maybe when I fill it up with my meat birds this year.

7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I must find free swingsets now...that is an awesome design and sounds like it would work perfectly for just about anything.

My neighbors are going to love this. I can just picture one side of our barn a long row of tarp-covered swingsets that crow.

8. muddler6

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Quote:My other run is an a-frame I made out of landscape timbers, it was tough wrestling them together by myself, the swingset I put together in place, by myself easy as could be. I plan to ask around and see if anyone needs to get rid of their swing sets to add on or have handy if I need to replace one of my runs. By the way, I used zip-ties to attach the chicken wire to the frame, worked great!!

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine
    [​IMG]

10. AmazonDragon

AmazonDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thats nice jaku!
    How big is it? How many can you keep in it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by