What kind of dirt is the best?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cavendish Chickens, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay, as my chicks have been growing, we have been putting potting soil in boxes for them to take "baths" in. They love it. But on Friday we will be putting up the coop and run, and I was wondering what kind of dirt is actually best for them? I've seen regular dirt, potting soil, even sand. I'm not going to make the whole run dirt, just a section. I want them to have access to grass too. So, what dirt is the best to use? And for those who do use sand, what kind of sand do you use? Sand box sand? I just want to do everything right. Thanks!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Uhhhhhh..... post again in a month after you have NO grass left in your chicken run. Any pictures you see of lovely lawns and grass within chicken run enclosures are BRAND NEW installations. Chickens DESTROY grass.

Dirt is dirt. Nothing wrong with dirt. It's just not pretty. If you want to make up a section of "perfect for dust bathing" then frame up a sort of playground sand box (use CONSTRUCTION SAND not play sand -it has bits of pebbles and granite bits in it that are great for chickens), add some potting soil WITHOUT vermicellite or whatever those white bits are, then add some wood ashes from a fireplace. Voila!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    :lol , x 2.

Chickens plus grass equals dirt.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:This is exactly what I do.

Imp

5. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    My whole new yard is dirt, soil, brown. No grass, nothing, just 16 fruit trees. The chicken run is 100% soil like the rest of the yard. I have the chickens for about 15 days and everything looks very clean, nothing for me to clean. The chickens clean! They clean the soil around the trees from useless grass weeds that try to sprout. They are great tillers too. They are free range all day (and night, but they prefer to lock themselfs in)

In my opinion the dirt, pure soil, is beatyful. I personally prefer soil than grass. I was tired of pulling weeds out of my soil. I would never put grass in my yard, i think it will spread and eat me alive [​IMG] I thought grass is only for smoking.

WITHOUT vermicellite or whatever those white bits are

perlite and vermiculite are not safe to eat. I have read around that they could cause cancer if eaten. They are in fact pieces of glasses that act as sponges for minerals that they release slower than soil to provide food or fertilizer to the plants for a longer period of time, than soil itself.

I dont even touch them, i never put them in my garden either. Stay away from that commercial crappy soil with unknown rotted garbage and carcigen glasses that every pack could carry a different surprice. Once, i bought 130 gallons of black peat moss that was 100% covered in brown ants, i bought 130 gallons of ANTS. Trillions. Now i make my own.​

6. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Thank you everyone! I will do that (sandbox with all that stuff). I don't want to make them sick, and I want them to be happy and healthy. I really appreciate it everyone!

7. hamilton

hamilton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    I have a question about what type of dirt to fill in holes in chicken coop area. We have a bunch of holes and would like to fill them in. and level everything off..... any help would be greatly appreciated....

Also I like the idea of the sandbox

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I can't believe you said dirt is not pretty. I love to look at good topsoil. But a nice lawn is pretty too. As my area stands now it's all dirt. I am going to have to do something for sure. Dirt does turn to mud in the right environment. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by