What kind of dog do you have?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 10 point, Feb 19, 2011.

1. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    MizMary looks llike Gina got all the best parts rolled into one sweetie pie.

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Two chocolate labs Loki and Lola [​IMG]

3. Woofless

Woofless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    Two Basenjis (Jibini and Tana), a red mutt (Chloe, possibly Basenji/Heeler) and an Epagneul Breton aka French Brittany (Ellie- the mostly-black one....French original breed standard for the Brittany allows black pigment).

[​IMG]

Ellie is a fully trained pheasant hunting dog out of imported French parents, and yet she's the ONLY one out of the four who will leave the chickens alone. She likes to look in the pen, but last year we had a couple "escape artists"- White Leghorns who managed to fly up to the coop roof and fly over the 12 foot fence....and she never bothered them when they were out. Chloe eventually got one of them. The Basenjis and Chloe kill enough critters and varmits around here- they've gotten everything from ground squirrels to rabbits to possums to raccoons....that I just don't take chances with them around the birds. Much of the time I leash the Basenjis for added control; they are a primitive breed that tends to have a mind of their own.

[​IMG]

(and no, that's not a bird she's retrieving, it's a half-chewed rabbit skin that Chloe found, but it's a pretty retrieve anyway LOL)

The Basenjis watch Chicken TV:

[​IMG]

A pretty shot of Chloe (she felt left out, she wanted an extra picture too [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Wow really cool dogs [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
  5. clarkscluckies

clarkscluckies Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    Sierra Nevada Foothills
    Weimaraner Rottweiler mix that is 3 years old named Capone. He is the sweetest dog.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    omg... Capone is the most beautiful dog I have EVER seen!!! WOW!! That Weimeraner color with the Rottie rust marks is just to die for!!! Beautiful beautiful boy you have there [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

We have an old mutt that we adopted from the local pound many years ago. His name is Macaroni and he has been a blessing! One of the best dogs I've ever had,. faithful, smart, gentle and patient. He has been dressed in baby clothes and pushed in a stroller,. tied to a tricycle and told to "mush",. and he did,. he has put up with cats and chickens and pet squirrels. He has gently brought baby squirrels that he found in the yard to the back door for us to find,. and chased off the biggest dog he had ever seen to protect his "girl" my DD. He is quiet and happy to sit next to us for hours, but nothing escapes his notice and we are well protected. He has his own fan club,. everyone in Lacombe and in our neighborhood knows me as Macaroni's Mom,. he gets treats from the mail lady and is allowed and welcomed in Victoria's Beauty salon. He has a long and friendly relationship with "his" UPS man and hears his truck coming and meets him at the street for his treat and petting. He used to be a dark red brown with black eyebrows,.. but he is now a white haired old man. I don't know what I will do when he is gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  8. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    I have 2 Great Pyrenees - Kinzi and Captain Sully. They are excellent guardians of our sheep and chickens.

[​IMG]

Kinzi had a litter of 7 GP puppies on Thursday [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BayouPoules

They are all such great and beautiful dogs![​IMG]

10. BayouPoules

Quote:OK,. now us animal people know to never go to Petsmart on adoption day UNLESS you secretly want to adopt! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by