What kind of dog??

I have a standard poodle (85 pounds) who loves the chickens- he is like a nanny dog to them and they are not the slightest bit afraid of him- he can go right over to them to see what they are up to- getting his nose right in their business and they don't care a bit. He is also a great kid dog- my grandkids love him to pieces and he them:D

German Sheperd Dogs is what I started out with. I have 4. But, to be honest my Newfie Pit Bull mixes are as intense on guarding as any dog I ever owned. Most all of my dogs are near or around 75 to 80 lbs. I think most predators will not want to try and find out what their about. A friend of mine had a smaller 40 lbs mix who was killed by Yotes. But, that was her only dog. IF she had 2 dogs of that size it might not have happened.

I thought about getting a great pyrenees, but I read alot about them being barkers and we are daytime sleepers, so that discouraged me.
I am getting our GSD pup used to being around the chickens. He's doing well.

I have a rescued pyreness/golden retriever mix. I got her when she was two years old from an abusive past She was about to be put down by her current family due to her extreme skittish/timid nature. I couldn't ask for a better dog.

I have lots of dogs..........but my two geese are the best chicken protectors I have. We have nine 15wk old hens and my geese won't let even the adult hens near.........forget the cats, dogs or foxes Very funny.

I have two lab mixes who get along well with my four hens. One is big and is mixed with great dane and one is smaller mixed with ???. The bigger one is only about 3 y.o. and is real interested in chasing squirrels and wild birds and walks along in the yard with the hens looking around for aerial squirrel attacks. In fact, she chased away a hawk that flew into the yard with the hens were still in their pen.

The smaller lab just ignores the hens and they even have caused her to move away from her food bowl which she would never do for the other dogs.

I attribute the tolerance among the critters to the fact that we introduced the chicks to the dogs and properly chastised the dogs early on for chasing or being rambunctous around the chickens.

We also have a terrier mix who is 13 y.o. and doesn't bother the chickens but 10 years ago I would not have trusted her around any kind of bird, etc.

So, getting a younger rescued lab and training it over time could work out very well.

cheers,
wink.png

We have a new foundland.She is great with our cats,chicken and children.A better dog you will not find:cool:

I have an English shepherd. Even though he is only 7 months old he does a pretty good job at herding anything and everything that I tell him to. He has also chased off a coyote and killed a ton of mice. The breed is used for herding, guarding and hunting. One warning though is to be prepared for a strong willed dog that HAS to have a job.

People who have labs or other bird dogs already who do well with chickens . . . that's wonderful. But if you are seriously thinking of going out and getting a new dog with chickens in mind, I'd steer clear of the bird dogs. You might get lucky and get one with no interest, or you'll be able to train it, but really, for convenience sake and ease of mind, it's best to try to start out with a dog who doesn't have decades of breeding behind it to make it super interested in birds.

Back
Top Bottom