What kind of duck is my duckling? :)

toomanyducks

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013

This is most likely not a domestic species.. found in a neighbor's backyard near a river.
I'm not sure what kind of duck he will grow to be.. any ideas?

It actually does look Rouen to me. It could have been dumped there are washed down from another area. Or, it could be a hybrid duckling with a wild mother.

He peeps like crazy and I've heard Muscovy's are fairly quiet, although I don't know how they are as babies. I looked up Rouens which looks almost exactly like a mallard, how d you tell the difference? There is a pair of mallards that keep hanging out in our yard which makes me think he might belong to their family. When he gets older how do you tell between a Rouen and a wild mallard? I wanted to release him when he was old enough but not if he is a domestic duck. Thanks :)

He peeps like crazy and I've heard Muscovy's are fairly quiet, although I don't know how they are as babies. I looked up Rouens which looks almost exactly like a mallard, how d you tell the difference? There is a pair of mallards that keep hanging out in our yard which makes me think he might belong to their family. When he gets older how do you tell between a Rouen and a wild mallard? I wanted to release him when he was old enough but not if he is a domestic duck. Thanks
smile.png
Rouens have 2 eye strips and are huge when adults, Mallards have 1 eye stripe and are small ducks when adults, Others on here say Rouen, so if so it's domestic and should not be released into the wild. Please don't. If you ever feel you cannot keep your duckling try to find it a good safe home. Do these Mallards have ducklings?

Back
Top Bottom