what kind of duck...

cestial225

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
I recently lost a black swedish to a fox. She was my only duck. She lived in the chicken coop with the chickens and got along great with them. My kids miss seeing a duck in the yard so I told them we will try hatching ducklings in the spring. What breed of duck would you all suggest? I want to probably have 2-3 ducks. They will live in the coop with the chickens. I would like good layers that are nice and gentle enough to free range with my kids present. I don't plan to keep any drakes. My kids do not chase or even touch our birds but they play in the same yard and don't want them to be chased.

Thanks in advanced for your suggestions!

Hi. Just adding my two cents.....
wink.png

From my research, Khaki Campbell is a prolific egg layer. I have a drake that free ranges with my flock of Blue and Black Swedish, Rouens and Cayuga.
All of my ducks free range with my chickens and dogs and horses. Kids too.
They are the same size as the Swedish.
Not a mean duck in the bunch.
smile.png

What can you get sexed? if you don't want drakes, don't open the door, opt for sexed birds. I have some buff orpingtons nice duck, catty but gentle they forage well, actually a heritage breed. They run with my large scovies flock.

I will most likely buy hatching eggs so I am bound to get a few drakes. Its fine, we will butcher and eat them when they reach a decent size. I just have no interest in breeding ducks so I have no use for drakes.

Back
Top Bottom