what kind of duckling??

NiteHawk

Chirping
May 11, 2018
We had a few baby ducks hatch out,( incubator hatch) and I got the eggs from a couple different people. The one fellow only has giant Pekins,. One lady has a buff X Welsh Harlequin male and Welsh females.. Another lady gave me Welsh Harlequin eggs ( she also raises Muscovy's,,, Call and Appleyard ducks ) When the ducklings hatched out we got a couple Pekins and some that are either Welsh harlequin or Welsh buff crosses.. In the midst is a duckling that we cannot figure out what she /he is..( or where it came from for that matter ) It is a chocolate color with "chipmunk stripes" on its face.. It is growing well and comparable with the other ducks for size, maybe just slightly lighter in weight than the others, but comparable in size other than that.... I don't think we have a gosling either..( one lady does raise geese, but there were no extremely large eggs in the bunch.). A lady who is very knowledgeable about ducks geese etc is baffled. Does anyone know what kind of duck we have??

Attachments

• IMG_5836.JPG
    IMG_5836.JPG
    591.2 KB · Views: 20
Out of the breeds you listed, it looks closest to either a Muscovy or a type of Call duck. How old is he/she? Do you have any pics of him/her around a day old?

I don't have any real decent pictures up close....this duckling hatched, on day 28 like any normal duckling, and Muscovies normally go longer- like 35 days I have been told... and other than being very very slightly lighter in build than the other ducklings, it is comparable in size to the other ducklings, maybe a tiny, tiny, tiny, bit shorter, but hardly noticeable unless you look extremely closely.. I have been told that Call ducks are extremely small in comparison with ordinary ducklings.. This duckling hatched on May 17 so it would be 2 weeks old today.. At first I shrugged off the color difference, but finally my curiosity got the best of me, and I took pictures and sent it to one of the ladies that I got the eggs from, and she is quite knowledgeable about ducks, geese and chickens, and she is baffled.. I have wondered if it could be a gosling ( she does have geese too) as it has been many many years since I have had geese and am no expert on them.. but most of the goslings that I have seen are white...(or an ugly duckling--LOL LOL-no actually many swans are born blackish -dark gray--just joking LOL)

He looks a lot like my Appleyard x Khaki cross at that age.
015F7B02-6796-4679-9578-A904CA63F0B8.jpeg

Maybe you have a Welsh Harlequin x Appleyard cross?!
Or, maybe another Harlequin cross? I hatched a group of Welsh x Khaki crosses and was surprised when they all had facial stripes and wild type patterns. Mine was a sex-linked cross so the girls were brown the boys are the darker, black ones.
628F6DA4-4D0E-4D32-9C54-6A73B6D0B31C.jpeg

I don't have any real decent pictures up close....this duckling hatched, on day 28 like any normal duckling, and Muscovies normally go longer- like 35 days I have been told... and other than being very very slightly lighter in build than the other ducklings, it is comparable in size to the other ducklings, maybe a tiny, tiny, tiny, bit shorter, but hardly noticeable unless you look extremely closely.. I have been told that Call ducks are extremely small in comparison with ordinary ducklings.. This duckling hatched on May 17 so it would be 2 weeks old today.. At first I shrugged off the color difference, but finally my curiosity got the best of me, and I took pictures and sent it to one of the ladies that I got the eggs from, and she is quite knowledgeable about ducks, geese and chickens, and she is baffled.. I have wondered if it could be a gosling ( she does have geese too) as it has been many many years since I have had geese and am no expert on them.. but most of the goslings that I have seen are white...(or an ugly duckling--LOL LOL-no actually many swans are born blackish -dark gray--just joking LOL)
Ah, true. I forgot about the fact that Muscovies take longer. *facepalm* And yes, it would probably be way smaller if it were a Call duck. My duck knowledge seems to be very wrong tonight, lol. But it really does look like the babies that @cheezenkwackers (love the username, btw) posted!

this little guy /gal was quite dark and seems to be getting a little bit lighter as time goes along... not sure what baby appleyards look like....

an update on this duckling as it has grown--still has "chipmunk stripes on its face, and the baby feathers have taken on a 'penciling" look... Still much darker than the other ducklings..

Attachments

• IMG_6260.JPG
    IMG_6260.JPG
    673.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6258.JPG
    IMG_6258.JPG
    563.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6261.JPG
    IMG_6261.JPG
    857.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom