What kind of ducks do I have?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by herpin1579, Apr 14, 2011.

1. herpin1579

herpin1579 New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    I picked up some mallards at the local feed store. Two of the ducks have yellow tufts on their heads and I have no idea what they are. Any ideas? They look exactly like mallard ducklings except for that tuft. I would post pictures but I'm a new member and it wont let me

Thanks,
    Mike

2. herpin1579

herpin1579 New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They look like crested and non-crested rouens and mallards. Adorable!

4. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

The ones with the puffy things are Crested Mallards. The ones without are normal Mallards. Have fun with them! They sure are cute!

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, cresties!! Cute!! I've never had mallards, but crested ducks of all breeds are adorable.

Do be careful when they're full grown if you intend to breed them. Never breed a crested duck with another crested duck. The gene that causes the crest is essentially a cranial deformity, and in a double dose it causes painful, gruesome, and usually fatal deformities in offspring (roughly 25% of the offspring of a crested x crested breeding will produce this result). In a single dose, though, it's just plain adorable! And it's perfectly fine to breed a crested with a normal--you'll get 50/50 (roughly) cresteds and normals.

Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by