What kind of feed should i get for my 6 Month old pullets?

Desert Rooster

El Gallo Del Desierto
9 Years
Sep 4, 2010
Hesperia, Ca
I have four 6 month old pullets that i got since they were 9 weeks old, the feed store recomended a quick grow feed that i bought them when i first got them and i fed them that till now.
It rained some days ago and there feed got wet, so i threw it out, and my question is, should i get them the same feed, or what should i get them since they are 6 months old now.
they are not laying yet.

If I were in your shoes I would go ahead and give them layer pellets. For various reasons I had to start mine early. I now have 12 laying hens and get 8-12 eggs a day.
smile.png

Around 4-6 months is a good time to switch them to layer but you can keep them on a nonmedicated starter, grower, flock raiser, or gamebird feed. Different people use various ones for a variety of reasons. You just have to make sure you offer oyster shell if you aren't using layer and some still offer it even when feeding layer feed. I was reading an article recently that made a good case for increasing their calcium intake several weeks to a month before they are likely to start laying instead of waiting until you see eggs.

Back
Top Bottom