What kind of fencing?

aaronmahon123

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 8, 2014
Hi. I am building a new coop this summer and I am wondering why not use horse fencing (weaved wire) for my run? I have heard that welded wire works well but I am worried about it coming apart over time. Also, I am using dirt floors so which is better: digging a foot deep and putting wire strait down the trench and covering it, or making a wire curtain around the structure? Can I use the horse fencing for whichever way I decide to stop digging predators? Thanks

We used 1/2" hardware cloth for our coop and run. It's small enough that most predators(and small animals that like to eat chicken feed) can not get through it including squirrels, rats, wild birds and most snakes.

The only thing you have too keep in mind with the woven wire non climb type horse fence is that it must be stretched and pulled tight. If you do not it will be all wavy and loose. This means braced corners that will not give. You will need to build "H" or "v" braces at all corners. Pull tight with a come along or other method. I just got a lifetimes experience with this stuff this year. Fenced in my 1 acre yard and built a 20x25 goat pen with it.
If you chose this route, you can not properly install woven wire buried in the ground. A 2 foot apron around the perimeter will work better. Then put 2 foot tall hardware cloth all around and you will be covered from coons and such reaching in.

How big do you want your run? We have 20 hens so our run is 12x12. We just used dog fencing that is 6x6. We got it off of Craig's list for a steep discount. It had a for in it too. Took no time to set it up.

My run is going to be about 30 by 20....if I used the welded wire does it need to be kept as tight as the woven wire?

Ours were panels. No stretching required.

Back
Top Bottom