What kind of grain or grass ahould i cultivate around the outside of pen to provide green feed.l?

Thank you. Unfortunately from what I read, Mississippi prohibits this kind of sale although, I'm going to check it out next time I go to TSC. I'd like to take a look at it : )

Thank you very much! I'm definitely going to do something like this. I wish I could grow it through the winter when greens are less plentiful for them.
You could just sprout the seed during the winter. Most seeds only take a couple of days to a week depending on far along you want them and its really easy to do in the house.

You  could just sprout the seed during the winter.   Most seeds only take a couple of days to a week depending on far along you want them and its really easy to do in the house.

Haha, I was just thinking this myself! Trying to think what room of the house I could use for my chicken fodder! It'll probably end up in my craft room. Won't my chickies be delighted to get some yummy greens on a cold winter day!?

I dont know if it grows where you are but my chickens love hemlock and johnson grass. Hemlock is poisonous to humans but around here it grows 2 inches a day! personally I dont react to weed whipping it but some people do. The two legged weed whippers keep up with it ok, and they can eat all the johnson grass they want

Oh, well then my chickens are immune like me hahaha. We sprinkle fodder seeds everywhere in the yard and the chickens eat that too. Hopefully over time the whole yard will be fodder, its soft and pretty

Haha, I was just thinking this myself! Trying to think what room of the house I could use for my chicken fodder! It'll probably end up in my craft room. Won't my chickies be delighted to get some yummy greens on a cold winter day!?
I love sprouting! I just use big mason jars with cheesecloth over the top. They don't need light unless you want to get them longer and green and even then any little bit of light works. I'll toss em in the window that faces a side yard that has a fence right there and hardly gets any light and they will get long and green in no time! You can also grow stuff that you can toss into salads for you too. Everyone loves sprouted radish here, humans, chickens, parrots. :)

I love sprouting!   I just use big mason jars with cheesecloth over the top.   They don't need light unless you want to get them longer and green and even then any little bit of light works.    I'll toss em in the window that faces a side yard that has a fence right there and hardly gets any light and they will get long and green in no time!  You can also grow stuff that you can toss into salads for you too.  Everyone loves sprouted radish here, humans, chickens, parrots.  :)

It's something I definitely want to try... eventually. I don't feel like there is enough time in a day to do everything I want to do.

Back
Top Bottom