what kind of greens do you feed your flock for winter.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bucky52, Jan 6, 2012.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    my girls love grass.very hard to find any this time of year.they will eat lettuce but i have read its really not that good for them.any ideas.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I buy bagged salad mixes on sale, plus I hang a cabbage from a shepherd's crook in the run for them to jump up to peck at it. They tear off pieces and the cabbage is gone that same day (but I do have a large flock).

I also toss out alfalfa cubes for them.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I get grapes, and snow peas, corn, bags of salad...broccoli etc...the same things I feed in the summer, but a bit more than usual.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I haven't bought anything yet. Mine are enjoying the chickweed growing rampant in our yard. There are also dandelions and some sort of cold-weather grass with a slightly fuzzy feel that they enjoy.

I also thought about sprouting some birdseed for them.

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    We found 2 things they like, one by accident the other by others here.
    1. We bought them whole oats during the summer which they did not like, so I threw them out in the garden and they grew very nice and we cut what we want each day, the oat grass is not effected by the cold nor snow, so they will have the grass all winter.

2. Alfalfa cubes, soaked in hot water until moist and mixed into feed or yogurt or cottage cheese or whatever you want, seems to be a good green for them to eat and goes a very long way.

6. Tallulah Chicklet

Tallulah Chicklet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    New Haven, CT
    Do you use alfalfa cubes that are sold for rabbits? Or is there a more cost-effective way of obtaining them?

7. LisaCammie

LisaCammie Out Of The Brooder

I give my girls canned peas and carrots every morning in their oatmeal (made with vit D milk). In their suet feeders I put Broccoli, tomatoes, cukes, lettuce, bananas, or apples They get the peas/carrots/oatmeal every morning now that it's chilly outside and one item in their suet feeder.

8. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:I bought a 50lb bag from our local feed store like the ones for horses, cost about $14 but I only use 3 cubes a couple times a week for my 13 girls so it will last a very long time and it stores just fine so no issue with it going bad.

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Kale. You can buy it in a bunch at the grocery store, and they seem to love it. It only costs about $2.00, or even less per bunch. I also like to give them a whole cabbage. And apples (I know they're not greens....)

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Right now I am feeding alfalfa that I expanded from horse pellets, and adding it to their crumble every morning. They don't like it alone, but it sure darkens the yolk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by