1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what kind of grit do my birds need, bought a sack and they won't touch it.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hoakieman, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Hoakieman

Hoakieman New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    I bought Microna calcium carbonate, and the birds don't want anything to do with it. They free range under fir trees so I don't know if they are getting enough grit. I scattered some sand around, but no evidence that they want that either. How does one know if the birds are getting enough grit? I have 4 Rhode Island Reds, am getting 4 eggs a day now and they are rich eggs. There is so much we don't know, we are grateful for backyard chickens and all the info available through so many wonderful chicken lovers!
    Hoakieman

2. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Chances are they are fine if they are free ranging. Grit is usually just little rocks and such they pick up to aid in digestion and if you are free ranging, they are most likely getting a lot of this from your soil. Most of the grit is simply crushed granite. The mix you have sounds like it's intent is to provide grit and calcium. If the eggs have good strong shells, then your birds are fine from a Calcium standpoint. Oyster shell or another supplement available won't hurt but they may not take too much of it unless they need it.

3. Hoakieman

Hoakieman New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Thanks, Daddy Bird, I have been concerned that they may not be getting enough grit. I will buy some oyster shell too just to be sure. The eggshells are strong and the membrane inside the shell is also tough, but the white and yolk is beautiful a rich yellow orange color.. My birds reall look wonderful too. Thanks for the info,
    Hoakieman

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: That's not "grit"
    Calcium Carbonate is Lime, Limestone, or Oyster Shell, since chemically they are basicallly identical.
    "Grit" would be comprised of Granite or Quartz.
    There's no need to provide it to grown free ranging birds

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by