what kind of grit do my birds need, bought a sack and they won't touch it.

Hoakieman

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
I bought Microna calcium carbonate, and the birds don't want anything to do with it. They free range under fir trees so I don't know if they are getting enough grit. I scattered some sand around, but no evidence that they want that either. How does one know if the birds are getting enough grit? I have 4 Rhode Island Reds, am getting 4 eggs a day now and they are rich eggs. There is so much we don't know, we are grateful for backyard chickens and all the info available through so many wonderful chicken lovers!
Hoakieman

Chances are they are fine if they are free ranging. Grit is usually just little rocks and such they pick up to aid in digestion and if you are free ranging, they are most likely getting a lot of this from your soil. Most of the grit is simply crushed granite. The mix you have sounds like it's intent is to provide grit and calcium. If the eggs have good strong shells, then your birds are fine from a Calcium standpoint. Oyster shell or another supplement available won't hurt but they may not take too much of it unless they need it.

Thanks, Daddy Bird, I have been concerned that they may not be getting enough grit. I will buy some oyster shell too just to be sure. The eggshells are strong and the membrane inside the shell is also tough, but the white and yolk is beautiful a rich yellow orange color.. My birds reall look wonderful too. Thanks for the info,
Hoakieman

Quote: That's not "grit"
Calcium Carbonate is Lime, Limestone, or Oyster Shell, since chemically they are basicallly identical.
"Grit" would be comprised of Granite or Quartz.
There's no need to provide it to grown free ranging birds

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom