What kind of heaters can I use?

MindiWynne

Songster
5 Years
Jun 26, 2017
Brookville, Ohio
My chickens are faring "ok" as far as cold weather goes, but this is my first winter with them and I am clueless. They are inside a barn, but this morning the actual temperature was -8º and I can't help but be concerned. The water things without the heater froze indoors (Which is why I got the heated ones just in case) and their eggs are really cold when I collect them. Even if they are fine, by time I am done feeding them, gathering eggs, and cleaning their space I am a human popsicle. I got a heat lamp with a red 250w bulb, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. I would like to find some kind of safe, tiny little space heater to put up on a wall or hang for them (and me), and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Same temp here and my chickens are outside happily boppin' around, lol. I keep myself warm with a down jacket, some "hot hands" type warmers to stick in my mittens, and bring out warm food for my chickens a few times day....
The BYC members from far north areas talk about using heat when it gets to -40...

Same temp here and my chickens are outside happily boppin' around, lol. I keep myself warm with a down jacket, some "hot hands" type warmers to stick in my mittens, and bring out warm food for my chickens a few times day....
The BYC members from far north areas talk about using heat when it gets to -40...
I never even thought of the "hot hands." I have those. What kind of warm food do they like? Maybe some ground beef? They like it when I bring them treats!

I would unplug the heat lamp, like you said it is not working so it is just running up your electric bill.

My fear about heat, aside from fire would be that they get dependent on it and then the electricity goes out.

They can handle it even if you cannot.

Layer up

Good luck

Gary

What kind of warm food do they like?
I have been making a mash of their regular crumbles and now I do it with warm water. If they don't eat it all and it freezes I pick up the frozen blobs and replace w warm. Bring the frozen in and set it by the wood stove to thaw. It's okay if the moist feed ferments some, ( --- benefits of fermented feed is a whole other subject you can find discussed extensively in other threads. )
It's gonna get up above 10º here today! A veritable heat wave!

My chickens are faring "ok" as far as cold weather goes, but this is my first winter with them and I am clueless. They are inside a barn, but this morning the actual temperature was -8º and I can't help but be concerned. The water things without the heater froze indoors (Which is why I got the heated ones just in case) and their eggs are really cold when I collect them. Even if they are fine, by time I am done feeding them, gathering eggs, and cleaning their space I am a human popsicle. I got a heat lamp with a red 250w bulb, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. I would like to find some kind of safe, tiny little space heater to put up on a wall or hang for them (and me), and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
I worried a lot during my first winter with chickens as well but never provided any heat and they did just fine. It is -8 here as well and my hens are running around my yard unfazed. If they're eating, drinking and not acting distressed I would leave them be. I'm jealous yours are laying eggs! Mine always take a few months off during the shortest days of the year. Store bought eggs.....blech!

Back
Top Bottom