What kind of incubator do you use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dinos_rock, May 4, 2008.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    OK, so I recently sold my pig at the county fair and I would like to buy an incubator with some of the money I earned.[​IMG]

[​IMG] What incubator do you have and what do you like about it/or what don't you like about it? Is there a certain brand I should stay away from or a really good brand? And will incubators hatch any type of egg? Because I would want to hatch quails, chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons or any other type of bird. What should I expect to pay for an incubator? (I don't want to get ripped off)

Thanks.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I have the Little Giant still air. It works.... but I don't know if I'd recommend it. Perhaps if you had the fan assembly it might be better. We don't have central heat and air (we rely on window units) so we have about a 5 degree fluctuation in temp in the house. It reeks havoc on our bater temp. It also appears that the switch in the temp control isn't really a true thermometer, but rather more of a high, medium, low. Which means if it's 70 in the room and you get it set right, if it goes up to 75 in the afternoon, you're in trouble. I have to constantly watch it. It was the only option at our local feed store, and they didn't have the fan assembly when I purchased it.

I have only hatched chicken eggs in it but as far as I know it will hatch others. The only thing is you'll only be able to do one species at a time as each requires different temp/humidity settings.

I paid 50 for mine but you'll also want to buy a thermometer and hygrometer. The thermometer that comes with it is pretty crappy.

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    hovabator genesis 1588 less than $200.00

If you "search" genesis 1588 you will find threads on it and who charges what for it.

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Genesis 1588- Cutler Supply has the best price and shipping U will find anywhere on the net. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Hovabator Genesis 1588 Is what I purchased. It was about 170 ish for everything you need to get started [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by