What kind of mites are these?

Since your using the shaving you need to dust the shaving also, mites hide in crevices so shaving are perfect hiding spots.
I've been dusting the shavings (I'd say lightly) and then mixing it since I wasnt entirely sure if the dust could harm the chickens.

Lol with snakes, I remember DH had to wait 24hours before letting the snakes back into the enclosure after treatment.

Too bad people can't use lady bugs and larvae in the coop, they feed on aphids and mites. Oh well.
What do you mean?

Since your using the shaving you need to dust the shaving also, mites hide in crevices so shaving are perfect hiding spots.
It may be effective just to clean everything out before treating, then starting over with fresh shavings, etc. This prolly needs done with each treatment. Every crack and crevice may need equally treated as well. Wherevers missed, thriving will continue. With an infestation that bad, i would become desperate and treat daily being there could be eggs laid and hatching daily, rather than in the same cycles.

It may be effective just to clean everything out before treating, then starting over with fresh shavings, etc. This prolly needs done with each treatment. Every crack and crevice may need equally treated as well. Wherevers missed, thriving will continue. With an infestation that bad, i would become desperate and treat daily being there could be eggs laid and hatching daily, rather than in the same cycles.
I do clean everything and replace with fresh shavings.

By any chance do you know how often you can treat?
Because, I was thinking of changing the shavings every day, at least but... everything I googled says 5-7 days.
A natural way of getting rid of mites. Chickens will devour the lady bugs so it's not an option.
Ughh yes of course. I wonder how fast they eat :lol:

I don't have a clue. I was just saying if it was me i would treat daily, lol, i wasnt really suggesting it. But inwould suggest adding some natural pest repellants safe for chickens alog with and in between treatments. Such as essential oils, fresh herbs, etc. Youd have to google which ones. You can also dilute some dawn dish soap and spray on everything. Some people even add cooking oil to it. Adding the essential oils to the spray too would be a great way to incorporate them also. All of this can be safely done daily as an additional treatment.

I don't have a clue. I was just saying if it was me i would treat daily, lol, i wasnt really suggesting it. But inwould suggest adding some natural pest repellants safe for chickens alog with and in between treatments. Such as essential oils, fresh herbs, etc. Youd have to google which ones. You can also dilute some dawn dish soap and spray on everything. Some people even add cooking oil to it. Adding the essential oils to the spray too would be a great way to incorporate them also. All of this can be safely done daily as an additional treatment.
Thank you!

I had red poultry mites in my coop. I had ordered a mite spray, but it was taking a while to get here and one of my hens was getting anemic, so I mixed some Dawn soap and warm water and went to town in the coop and on the hens. Haven't seen any since!

I had red poultry mites in my coop. I had ordered a mite spray, but it was taking a while to get here and one of my hens was getting anemic, so I mixed some Dawn soap and warm water and went to town in the coop and on the hens. Haven't seen any since!
Dawn dish soap and water? That sounds too good to be true!

Back
Top Bottom