What kind of mix is s/he?

oncebefore

Chirping
Mar 10, 2023
These 4 weeks old babies were hatched from light olive and light brown eggs I bought from a local lady. One black chick has black/dark greyish comb. What could s/he be? And I think it’s a pullet. It grew tail very early on at about 7 days. I think the other black bird is a cockerel given the look of its slightly pinkish little comb. The white one has some black spots and the white color is not that pure white as I wanted it to be.
Like to get some experienced chicken owner’s opinions on the breeds/mix, especially for the black comb one. And a guess of gender too.

Attachments

• IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    550 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4287.jpeg
    IMG_4287.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4290.jpeg
    IMG_4290.jpeg
    726 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
do you know which birds came out of which eggs?
Is everything on the black one (with the grey comb) black? like the eyes and tongue?
If so, it could be an Ayam Cemani

do you know which birds came out of which eggs?
Is everything on the black one (with the grey comb) black? like the eyes and tongue?
If so, it could be an Ayam Cemani
I have no idea of the parent birds. I didn't ask. I believe it was hatched from a light olive colored egg. I suspect they all are barn yard mixes:rolleyes:. The black chick is all black appearance wise but I doubt it could be a pure Ayam Cemani. I never tried to inspect its tongue. Eyes look black. I wonder if the grey/black comb is a dominant trait genetically.

Last edited:
I have no idea of the parent birds. I didn't ask. I believe it was hatched from a light olive colored egg. I suspect they all are barn yard mixes:rolleyes:. The black chick is all black aaperance wise but I doubt it could be a pure Ayam Cemani. I never tried to inspect its tongue. Eyes look black. I wonder if the grey/black comb is a dominant trait genetically.
yeah, probably a barnyard mix :lol: but i bet he/she will be really pretty when he/she grows up!

Hmmmm......
Black ones could be olive egger mixes or maran mixes, or Australorp mixes, or jersey giant mixes, or I have no idea.
The white one could be so many things! I'm sorry that I'm not much of a help😂

Hmmmm......
Black ones could be olive egger mixes or maran mixes, or Australorp mixes, or jersey giant mixes, or I have no idea.
The white one could be so many things! I'm sorry that I'm not much of a help😂
No problem. Mystery is the fun part :D.

I'm more curious about the dark grey comb chick. After some further googling, I think it might carry some Fibromelanstic Olive Egger mix, given that it was hatched from a light olive colored egg. The baby chick picture in the link below very much looks like s/he.

https://www.skygirlfarm.com/product-page/fibro-egger-dozen

Back
Top Bottom