what kind of new chick are you getting?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by billyb, Mar 20, 2012.

1. billyb

billyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    im getting my Silver laced Wyandottes 2morrow.!

2. G-Man

G-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! and [​IMG]

I received an email from Jerry and Rebecca Foley yesterday stating my Blue Laced Red and Silver Laced Wyandottes will be shipping tomorrow! Should be here by Thursday. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. MommaK6

MommaK6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Our first set of chicks are.........2 RIRs, a Barred Rock, 2 Arucana's, 1 Speckled Sussex, a Wyandotte of some sort, and a Buff Orpington. The second batch will be a Red Frizzle, a blue silkie, another silkie, 2 Mille Fleur, a Golden Polish and a Partridge Cochin.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You should always get more than one frizzle, in case it turns out to be regular feathered. The frizzles are not 100% guaranteed.

That's what I told my fiancée when we had to get three frizzled chicks ;)

5. billyb

billyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    I love the Wyandottes! There very interesting colored birds! [​IMG]

6. Silkie hen

Silkie hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    North Carolina
    Congratulations

7. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    I just got my first clutch of 4 baby chicks on Saturday !!!!! :)
    Yes, only four. My husband isnt much of an animal lover, so he wasnt up for much more than that, but Im going to keep working on him! LOL

I got two Buff Orpingtons, 1 Easter Egger and 1 Mille Fleur. Originally, I had wanted several other breeds, but had a hard time finding chicks of all the same age group in the breeds I wanted. I REALLLLLLLLLLYYYY want some Gold Laced Wyandottes, and some Plymouth Barred Rock but it just wasnt an option from this particular farm. Maybe I can convince hubby later on in the season. I didnt even really want the Buff Orpingtons at all, but my kids fell in love with them when we were picking the chicks out, so I relented, LOL

Now that I have them home, Im wishing we had gotten more of the little Mille Fleur! The one girlie I have is sooooo calm and easily handled, and will actually fall asleep in my hand if I stroke her head for a bit. The others are a little nervous of us still, but Ive never failed at mauling an animal into loving me, LOl So, I better get working, LOL

8. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I wish I could find some frizzles. They look so cool lol. Right now we have 4 buff brahmas, 3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, 3 Easter Eggers, 2 Golden Comets, 2 mystery chicks, and 1 chick thats either a black sex link or a barred rock. Not sure about her yet lol.

Since finding out that one of my chicks that I thought was a barred rock might actually be a black sex link DH agreed that we should get another barred rock and maybe a couple more to make it an even 20 lol. I love my hubbys willingness to let chicken math take over.

9. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Right now I've got 27 eggs in my incubator right now. 18 are buff orpington eggs, and 9 are rouen duck eggs. They are supposed to hatch on Monday. I'm so exited :D

10. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Yay, a thread that I can whine about waiting for my new chicks, [​IMG] I didn't want to post my own thread, complaining about it, so I'll take advantage of yours, lol! I have chicks scheduled to come the week of April 9'th. This will be my 3'rd batch of chicks that I have ordered in the past 2 years, but it is always as exciting (and nerve wracking) as the first time. I have 8 coming. Provided the hatchery doesn't have to substitute any breeds, they are:

2 Red Stars, or Red Sex Links
    2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
    1 Ancona
    1 Jersey Giant
    2 Easter Eggers.
    Aside from the EEs, these will all be new breeds for me. I've very excited!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by