What kind of night time coops do you use for free ranging guineas?

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Hi, I am getting some guinea hens and I plan to free range them during the day but would like to build them a secure coop for night time. What exactly do they need in there? I plan on building my own coop, won't be the first one. Just the first one for guineas. Examples or pictures of how the pros(you guys) do it would really cut down on my google sifting time. Thank you!

Hi, I am getting some guinea hens and I plan to free range them during the day but would like to build them a secure coop for night time. What exactly do they need in there? I plan on building my own coop, won't be the first one. Just the first one for guineas. Examples or pictures of how the pros(you guys) do it would really cut down on my google sifting time. Thank you!
Make sure to make it big enough that will hold them for an extended period of time.

R2elk?

I have 13 adult guineas in an 8'x12' coop and it is cramped quarters for them.
full

In the heat of the summer the walk in door is propped open during the daytime to keep the coop from getting too hot. Both windows are fully open also.
full

The bird door is 12"x12" but one that is 10"wide by 12" high would work just as well.
full

My guineas spend most of their roosting time in the rafters. They do seem to like the lower roosts as steps to the rafters. The "nest box" in the lower right gets used for the first eggs of the year until they get tired of me stealing the eggs and they decide to hide their nests outside.
full

They really do like their skylight.

I have 13 adult guineas in an 8'x12' coop and it is cramped quarters for them.
full

In the heat of the summer the walk in door is propped open during the daytime to keep the coop from getting too hot. Both windows are fully open also.
full

The bird door is 12"x12" but one that is 10"wide by 12" high would work just as well.
full

My guineas spend most of their roosting time in the rafters. They do seem to like the lower roosts as steps to the rafters. The "nest box" in the lower right gets used for the first eggs of the year until they get tired of me stealing the eggs and they decide to hide their nests outside.
full

They really do like their skylight.
Egg hunt all Summer - know that action. 😄

Thanks for the responses. R2elk nice setup. Seems like a cozy night quarters. So, roominess and roosts are a must. Anyone else got a pic of their setup?

Thanks for the responses. R2elk nice setup. Seems like a cozy night quarters. So, roominess and roosts are a must. Anyone else got a pic of their setup?
They spend lots of daytime in the coop during harsh weather, rain, snow and especially high wind conditions in addition to being shut in at night.

I love @R2elk set-up. If I ever adopted more, I would say his set-up is my ideal as I would just need it for night time sleepy guineas :love

Mine is a spoiled brat. At the moment, he sleeps in the greenhouse at night with the chickens. They also free-range during the day. Then once night comes again, he and one of my roos round-up the rest and we close up shoppe. He has several chicken wives so he doesn't know anything else; I think he thinks he's a chicken too :lau

They spend lots of daytime in the coop during harsh weather, rain, snow and especially high wind conditions in addition to being shut in at night.
Eggsactly. He'll go roost on the top bar in the greenhouse when we get snow, rain or a nasty wind spell. Sometimes he'll fly up to the balcony too and wants to come in the house. But then when we let him in, he wants to go on top of the bookshelf, breakfast bar or cat tree. He's a cuckoo bird. You'll have fun with them @Tre3hugger!!

Back
Top Bottom