What kind of poultry bird can I keep in my bedroom?

DrJohnNash

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
What kind of poultry bird can I keep in my bedroom? I'm looking for a huggable and friendly poultry bird that does not stink.

But will a maximum of two bantam hens living in a large rabbit cage with Carefresh bedding be too stinky? I will clean out their cage everyday. And I already ordered chicken diapers for them to wear outside their cage.

You know, you're going to do what you're going to do no matter what anyone says to you. We can't tell you if it will be "too stinky" for you because you may be willing to put up with a higher level of stink than someone else. Did the chicken diaper work for your Buff Orpington that was in the house? You were looking for ways to tone down the stink from that bird, too.

Personally, I will not keep chickens in the house. They are animals that instinctively prefer to scratch and peck and look for bugs outdoors. I think animals are healthier if kept in an environment suited to their needs, not to mine.
Umbrella cockatoos and even the Moluccan cockatoos are big birds. Besides the dust they produce they can bite really nasty and their screaming decibel is nearly as loud as a jet plane.
Yuck! Why would anyone want that in the house??

I must be going crazy...I am sure I have read 3 versions of this question(s) with similar syntax but different user names.
Is this an auto-repeat thread?
Are good people investing time responding to a genuine question?
I hope so because genuine people like me rely on the good nature of BYC people to have the energy and enthusiasm to advise and care. Time wasters burn up that energy.

Doesn't stink? I suggest a stuffed one.

For a house bird I recommend bantams, OEGB or serama. My experience has been the male banties don't seem to enjoy being penned, whereas the hens are tamer. Just my 2¢.

Last edited:
I'm not keeping ten chickens in my bedroom.

I will probably get one or two bantam hens.

In regards to the "dust" issue, some people have Umbrella Cockatoos and those parrots produce a lot of dust. If parrot owners can live with the dust their cockatoos produce, why can't some of us keep one or two bantam hens indoors?
Chickens are bigger birds. Bigger birds, logically, would produce more dust. No one is saying you can't keep hens indoors, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. Responsible animal ownership means keeping your animals in such a way as is best for their health and well-being, too. Chickens really are happier when they can be outside pecking and scratching in the dirt.

Good question!

welcome-byc.gif

Are you willing to give up breathing? Willing to compromise your lung function? Perhaps not now, but in your future? A bedroom is no place for a chicken.
I agree with this. Let a chicken be a chicken, they're really not meant to be inside a bedroom by themselves. Plus, they're pretty hard on the lungs, and the nose.

get a little coop and 2-3 banty to go outside next to bedroom window. they will enjoy sunshine and you enjoy view
smile.png

I'm not keeping ten chickens in my bedroom.

I will probably get one or two bantam hens.

In regards to the "dust" issue, some people have Umbrella Cockatoos and those parrots produce a lot of dust. If parrot owners can live with the dust their cockatoos produce, why can't some of us keep one or two bantam hens indoors?
What happened to your Buff Orpington that you had in 2014?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/878199/special-diet-for-less-stinky-poop#post_13345579

Back
Top Bottom