What kind of quail/birds can mix with Gambel's quail in a small aviary?

1000yearoldeggs

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
western pa
I tried to hatch shipped eggs (all the way from California, I'm in PA) and now I have one survivor left. He's still very young, only a few days old. My question is, what should I put with him when he grows up? I really don't want to try to hatch more eggs, and I can't find these type of quail around this area (I did put an ad on craigslist, hoping that'll work).

I do have coturnix I could put with him or I could get some diamond doves to put with him. I had one before as a house pet and they're very nice. I'm a little mad that I only have one left, I'm half way done with a decent sized aviary and only have one quail to put in it. Anyway, what do you think?

Best bet would be to hatch more. I have no experience with them, but maybe someone else will know if you can keep is successfully with the cots.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll have to think about it. I didn't get a great hatch even though everything was spot on. I'm thinking shipped eggs aren't for me. I can hatch my own pretty well, 70% or so. I'm gonna hope there's someone even remotely close that can sell me some chicks. Thanks for the advice.

I have a seller here in Ohio that carries a variety of quail, but you would have to drive to the west side of Ohio to pick them for live birds, or if you want more eggs, he might be able to help you out. Not sure if he has that kind of quail or not though.

What city is he in? I might be willing to drive a ways depending on how far it is. I'm thinking it's probably like 4 hours away though from where I'm at. I'd have to see if he has them too.

Back
Top Bottom