What kind of quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sniper338, Dec 25, 2013.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I saw a post by Serama hen, there was pictures of quail that were all kinds of colors.... what kind of quail are these??!!! they look fun!!

silver, blue, red colors... what the heck am I missing?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    are you talking about this thread?

3. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yes. I understand button quail... but is there diff flavors or do they just pop out different colors where its always a suprise..?

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Button quail have many many many many more color mutations than coturnix. It isn't always a surprise just usually. People have wantonly bred button quail for so long that you can cross two wild color quail and get nearly every of color of the spectrum out of them. It is nearly impossible to find buttons that breed true to color. Honestly once the novelty of tiny little miniature quail to look at wears off buttons are useless. They make nice windowsill art.

5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Don't listen to dc he just doesn't like buttons.

I on the other hand love my buttons and I only have a single pair. They are quite fun to watch and take care of and they do make some very interesting sounds. More so in the spring and summer. I keep mine in the house in a finch flight cage that is 18 deep 18 high and 36 wide they love it. There is a lot to learn about them before going out and getting a few, so if you decide you are going to venture in to buttons I would be happy to help you with all your questions and/or to invite you to our face book group.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Buttons useless? LOL

Depends on why you keep particular types of birds. Some people keep Buttons just for the love of them. They don't have to have a "use". Just keeping them becomes the joy.

7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey I enjoy my buttons for what they are. Cute little personalities that provide some entertainment. Mine actually think the sirens from the hospital near me are other giant buttons and call out to the sirens constantly. So to be fair they may not be useless, but its not like they are useful either, outside of entertainment purposes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by