What kind of rabbit do i have?! *pics*

His color is a very light Chinchilla, and with those gray eyes, he may be Blue Chin (Squirrel). I'm guessing he has a REW gene to make him so light. I don't see any sign of Chocolate. The brownish tinge to his coat is probably just sun fading; the black pigment often fades out, and the lighter the original coat color, the quicker it shows fading. He looks like he may be starting a molt, so the brown may start disappearing shortly. He may have more than two breeds in the mix, but if I had to pick only two, I'd go with one of the Chin breeds crossed with a either New Zealand or maybe a Florida White. I've a sneaky suspicion he may be younger than 4 months, so he may wind up a big boy!

Quote:
Breeding him to a Ruby Eyed White (REW) is more likely to reveal what is under the White coat. Like somebody said on the other board, he could be a Lynx (Lilac Chestnut/Agouti) which has a couple of recessives that would be hidden if the REW has Black under the white coat.

What is Cinnamon Agouti?

Have a good day.
Franco Rios

Last edited:
I would guess either standard chestnut agouti or cinnamon/chocolate agouti. I don't see chin markings at all. Not even very light chin. My money is on chestnut. It can vary a lot due to modifiers. Especially when you mix in mini rex who have many modifiers that make a unique version of chestnut referred to as castor. We've gotten some close to that color when crossing a mini rex buck to a creme d'argent doe for meat rabbits. We've also gotten some from the same cross that are nearly red. Then a few that look like your usual chestnut.

Rew would throw such wild cards in to the mix it would be a very bad idea for finding out genetics. Your REW could be chestnut agouti and nothing else underneath which means no matter what you bred to it you'd only get chestnut agouti or rew. That tells you nothing. The more genes you want to know in one breeding the more recessive you should find in the mate. So something like a lilac would be a good idea. Then you'd know if he carries self, chocolate, or dilute. A lilac tort would tell you if he carries nonextension. Then you'd only be missing the C locus. The only thing we'd need an rew for is to test if he carries rew.

Cinnamon agouti is a chocolate based agouti.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Cinnamon breed is actually Tort colored, which sure can make things confusing, because a rabbit that is the color Cinnamon is a Chocolate Chestnut. A Cinnamon colored rabbit has chocolate brown as the top color, the middle ring is yellow/orange, and the base color is lilac. The general effect is gold-brown, rather like an Alaskan Brown Bear.

Breeding this rabbit to a REW could result in even more color confusion. He is agouti-patterned, but could easily be hiding a self gene. He might be expressing dilution genes, or hiding one. If the hypothetical REW is also packing unseen self and/or dilution genes, in addition to Chins and REW's, you could get self chins in black and blue. Depending on just what else is hiding out, you might even get Ermines!

Quote:
Is there something wrong with my screen? Chestnut is agouti banded, of course, with black on top, yellow in the middle, and blue/grey as the base color. I have looked and looked, but I don't see any yellow on this rabbit. To me, he looks to have fading black banding, so light it is barely more than ticking, no yellow band, and probably no base color, either. A rabbit with agouti banding on its body and without yellow is a Chinchilla, because the Chin genes are the ones that take the yellow out of the coat.
hu.gif

Rew would throw such wild cards in to the mix it would be a very bad idea for finding out genetics. Your REW could be chestnut agouti and nothing else underneath which means no matter what you bred to it you'd only get chestnut agouti or rew

I beg to differ; an REW could be carrying Agouti, but it cannot be Chestnut. Chestnut needs both yellow and black pigment, and that is only possible with the full color gene (C). An REW is the most recessive (c) in the c series; it has neither black nor yellow pigment. Depending on which Chin gene you are working with, you may be several steps higher on the C series ladder, but crossing a Chin to an REW can't get you all the way to the top with the full color (C) because neither rabbit has that particular allele.​

An rew can be hiding anything all it does is change the C to c so you can still have a chestnut based rabbit AA BB DD EE and just cover it with cc. Bred out this rabbit will only produce chestnut unless crossed to another rabbit with rew then you get chestnut and rew. Or your REW could be a simple black aa BB DD EE covered with cc which will only get you chestnut and black. This doesn't tell you much of anything about the genetics of the other rabbit. Finding a rabbit with as many recessives as possible will show as much of the genotype as possible.

Some chestnuts don't show much brown at all. I've seen chestnuts that in pictures look pretty much grey. It's only under the ears that you'll see a bit of brown. Which you can see the brown under the ears and on the forehead in the pics. I have one that is nearly the same color but slightly darker. From a distance or on camera kind of a creamy dove grey with just brown tinting under the ears and over the tail. You have to really look to find the brown band and it does not show up on camera. Genetically mine is definitely chestnut. He's the result of a creme d'argent which is genetically red with silver gene and a chocolate mini rex who does not carry nonextension. Making him genetically Aa Bb D* CC Ee. With all sorts of modifiers for the bands and the undercoat the chestnut genotype has a huge variation in phenotype.

Back
Top Bottom