What kind of sand is okay for chicken run?

Can you get PDZ at most feed stores? You recommend mixing it with regular contractors sand rather then using all PDZ?

All PDZ would be pretty pricey (depending on how much space you're covering) and isn't really necessary. We get 40 pound bags at Southern States for about $15 a bag. Our Tractor Supply has PDZ in much smaller packages for a heftier price per pound. PDZ was originally used in horse stalls to absorb urine, so you're more likely to find it where horse "stuff" is sold.

All PDZ would be pretty pricey (depending on how much space you're covering) and isn't really necessary. We get 40 pound bags at Southern States for about $15 a bag. Our Tractor Supply has PDZ in much smaller packages for a heftier price per pound. PDZ was originally used in horse stalls to absorb urine, so you're more likely to find it where horse "stuff" is sold.
Got it, thanks for clearing that up for me :)

I was going to ask that same question. I had read how pleased this person was using sand and the odor control.
Sand sounds good to me, wet sand would be better then wet dirt / mud.

I heard that river sand, like the type carried at sand and gravel supply stores, is the best. It's a great question though. Will definitely follow this thread!

laceykins, I read that river sand was good too but the first place I called acted like they'd never heard of it. I'll keep calling.....

Check out this article from the Chicken Chick. She recommends washed construction sand, not play sand. I've been using sand for six months (since I started with chickens) and like it very much. I'm about to get another half ton for my coop, as it has compacted over time, but it's very easy to keep clean, and I have not had a lot of odor or flies.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

Hey everyone, has any of you used coral sand? That's what I put in mine (live on tropical island) and it's working well but I'm worried that they may get too much calcium from it and have kidney problems. My chickens are pretty young 4-7 weeks. You think they can control their intake so it's not a problem?

I have a 6' x 12' chicken run with the roost on top We put pebbles down under the 3 inches of sand But I'm wondering if I need to put some sort of dirt in there too for them. Like a top soil or compost If anyone knows please let me know!
1f414.png

Back
Top Bottom