What kind of Shrubs should I use for my Flock?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My coop and run have a fence around it so if I let them out to free range there in a fenced in area. We dont have a fenced in yard that's why. Well I'm having idk if there hawks, vouchers, just birds bigger than my chickens and I only let them out if I dont see them. We going to be making an anea in the fenced in place that has grass (it's all dirt) and I was thinking to add a Bush. 1. It needs to be edible to them and wont hurt them 2. It gives them a place to hide so I dont have to be stressed trying to rush them into the coop before the bird gets them. We will be providing werid structures for them to hide in as well lol.later on maybe next year were putting netting over the entire area but for now I'd feel safer this way. Sorry its alot to read and thank you if u read this all the way through

Flowering quince grows thick and sort of impervious and is non toxic. You would probably have to start with fairly good sized plants.

It depends a bit on your soil type. Viburnums are great! V. burkwoodi, V. judii, and V. carlesi all have fragrant flowers in spring, some berries, and good fall foliage. Love them all!
Any viburnum is a good choice, especially the natives.
Blueberries if you have very acid soil. Smaller dogwoods.
Some juniper varieties might fit, look for shapes that make sense.
Smaller lilac species, dwarf apples, pears, crabapples, or apricots.
Here we spread small stones, 2" to 4" diameter, around the plants to keep digging to a minimum. You do have to protect the plants from dust bathing and worm digging chickens!
Mary

It depends a bit on your soil type. Viburnums are great! V. burkwoodi, V. judii, and V. carlesi all have fragrant flowers in spring, some berries, and good fall foliage. Love them all!
Any viburnum is a good choice, especially the natives.
Blueberries if you have very acid soil. Smaller dogwoods.
Some juniper varieties might fit, look for shapes that make sense.
Smaller lilac species, dwarf apples, pears, crabapples, or apricots.
Here we spread small stones, 2" to 4" diameter, around the plants to keep digging to a minimum. You do have to protect the plants from dust bathing and worm digging chickens!
Mary
Well my dad is a landscaper so he brings home natural soil and by natural sometimes its stinky if u know what I mean. Lol. He could probably bring home some shrubs I would just need to know which ones. I'm hopefully making a little chicken paradise area for mostly the summer time

Back
Top Bottom