What kind of thermometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, May 30, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    My SIL sent me button quail eggs and I should have them tomorrow. I'm not ready!!! My cousin gave me her old hovabator but the thermometer is broken. I've stopped at two hardware stores today looking for a small flat thermometer but they don't have them. I need to clean this thing and get it running...what kind of thermometer will work?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Most folks use a Flukers (for aquariums..found at pet stores) or an Accurite digital. The Accurite you can get at Walmart or Kmart. It is an indoor outdoor thermometer and hygrometer (to measure humidity). Taylor is another digital that works very well, but a little tougher to find sometimes.

Jody

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I use a flukers, its been great so far.

4. Holly31

Holly31 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've heard Brinsea is one of the best for accuracy. I have 3 red mercury types and all 3 show a different reading - as much as 10% difference. I've used the one that matched my digital home thermostat, but am waiting for my new Brinsea to arrive any minute.

I bought a Flukers hygrometer. Not real happy with it. Out of the 6 in the store, most read around 2-5%, so got one, but I think it is measuring very low. Would sure like one that works.

Did someone say Accurite is good?[​IMG]

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks - I did end up buying an accurite digital from Walmart and I have a mercury in there too. Temps were holding steady at 99 all afternoon yesterday so I put the eggs in (12 button quail!) After I turned them this morning, temp dropped to 98 and 56%. I had trouble getting the humidity down when I first set up (was 75-76%) so I emptied out both water troughs and just put a little in one. Was at 50-51% all afternoon yesterday.

The accurite digital is measuring 98 but the mercury is at 100. Since it was set perfect yesterday, I'm afraid to mess with it today. Am I ok at these temps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by