What kind of timer for coop light early morning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chattykathy306, Sep 28, 2012.

1. chattykathy306

chattykathy306 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    The timers I have don't appear to be capable of meeting my needs for the coop. I want one that will go on around 4 AM, to give a couple extra hours daylight to promote egg-laying. Any recommendations? These are photoelectric timers. Seems I have bought the wrong kind of timer. Help! I look forward to the first egg around Christmas, but probably not until spring if I can't get some light in the coop. My husband has been plugging in the light when he leaves for work at 4, but he gets to sleep in the other 3 days of the week. Hate to think we have to get up to turn on the light those other 3 days. I guess I had thought that it is better to have that extra light in the morning, rather than at night. Is this true? If I could light the coop at night, then the timers would work just fine.

2. tnsred

tnsred Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    Eastern Connecticut
    I don't have an answer but I have the same problem! The timer I have will only stay on a certain amount of hours after dusk, or all day. I'll keep reading to see if there's an answer!

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The timer I use is a 24 hour clock timer with leavers for every half hour that can be set for on or off each half hour. My coop is really a pen in the barn that needs light during the day so it stays on all day But I could set it for a couple of hours in the morning then off and a couple more in the evening. I have heard of putting a timer in the outlet set for the lenght of light you want then a photo sensor switch that actually turns the lights on when needed. If your photoelectric switch is a timer as well as a switch that turns the lights on when dark it should have a clock on it as well that can be set. If it doesn't get a regular timer and do as above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by