What kind of window to use?

AppleCrisp

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
I'm looking for a window for my future chicken coop, but I need one that can hold heat but affordable... I was just wondering what everyone here uses for windows and if they would like tp post pics of their windows.
smile.png
Thanks

If you have a salvage yard nearby you might try there.... I went to mine hoping to buy a couple of used windows and they GAVE me 17 double-paned wood framed windows in assorted large sizes! Don't have any pics available yet but if you find some (even if it's just the sashes) you can adapt hardware and fittings to make them work. Add a little weather stripping and you'll be good to go!

I lucked out when my DH was doing a residing job for a neighbor of my bil. They were also changing the windows and we took the storms and just used them to make opening for them to fit. Works great as they can open and have screens.

I was looking at Menards at the discount/close out section and they wanted $20 for the same size windows.

Consider that if you DON'T add weather striping you may do your birds a favor by uping the ventilation of the coop. Just place the windows high enough that the floor isnt drafty. See Patandchickens' excellent post on ventilation for details on why thi is so very important. Don't make your coop at all airtight, whatever you do.

best. And yay for salvage/recycling!

Back
Top Bottom