what kind of wire to buy

KellyandKatie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
Kitsap County, WA
the thin gaged hardwire cloth - is there something similar but cheaper I could be looking for?

the gage of the wire needs to be thin enough that a cat (or what have you can not reach through)
in the past I have used hardwire cloth- but it is very pricey
is there another product that people use when making 4 by 6 ish sized runs ?
Something with that small gage- but maybe more affordable? I am looking at dells web page , and will make a trip to lowes this afternoon -- where did you find the best prices/ or what is the product called that you used?

backstory on what I am using it for
So, most of my birds get the free range of the full yard during the day and are coop'ed up at night

I just got a small group of seramas though, and while I had wanted them to free range with the rest of the flock, the neighbor cat has already found them while they are in their transition x pen set up ( everyone is fine- but they would not stand a chance against this blasted cat)

I am building a cat proofing along the fence that goes around our yard to keep that *@(^$) cat out

but while I am figuring out that mess, I need to keep my seramas safe-- and I know that cat can reach in that x pen (they are boxed in their own coop at night, we are well versed in raccoon proofing, just learning cat proofing)

I am going to build a movable type coop for them during the day - at night they are fine, we have a very nice coop- its more like a run that I need for them, but it will have a shelter in it as well for weather and shade and critters and laying etc

Most times I use 2x4 welded fencing. You can get it by 50-100 ft rolls at Lowe's & Home Depot. I don't know where you can get it any cheaper. For the lower portion I'll line it with some chicken wire so that raccoons can't reach their hands in. I don't seem to have predators like weasels around here but my understanding is that they can squeaze through the 2x4 wire.

this does not have to be raccoon , rat, and weasel proof, we have that covered, this is just for a day time run - I will check out Lowes and see what they have - thanks!

I think you're still going to have an issue of the cat going over the fence. If you've spoken with your neighbors and they refuse to contain their animal then I say set a no-kill trap and send it off to the humane society/animal control, it's harassing your birds you have every right.

the gage of the wire needs to be thin enough that a cat (or what have you can not reach through)

"Gauge" refers to the size of the individual strands of the wire.
The smaller the number, the thicker the wire

What you are talking about is the "spacing"

To keep a cat from reaching in you need 1/2" X 1/2" hardware cloth or 1/2" X 1" welded wire​

Last edited:
the humane society will just give it right back to the neighbors if i bring it in, and then these neighbors will most likely retaliate in other ways is my fear- they don't euthanize cats for going into the neighbor's yard and chasing chickens - the remaining options i would have with the cat are none that I think I feel ethical about

I can not make the neighbors get rid of their cat, so I need to focus on keeping my birds safe

thanks for the education on gage and gauge - that is probably why I was not finding my searches online, I was looking for 1/4 inch gauge fencing

Suggest you compare prices online with CSN stores, and they have free shipping (once in their site, just type in Hardware cloth)

You only need to use it on the coop if you lock down at night and free range (no run) in the day, or on the coop only if the coop is attached to the outside the run. If the coop is inside a secure run (secure being wired sides and top with a skirt) Don't sweat it cause the coop is simply a weather shelter, not a predator proof house.

If you go with hardware cloth, use 19 gauge with 1/2 squares in the wire and, although you may pay a little more, in the long run you will be happier and loose less birds to critters.

As for the cat..........SSS! Can I get a Amen, Bear Foot?

Last edited:
I have eight cats and wasn't sure about them with the chickens so I built my pens with 1/2 inch hardware cloth on all four sides and the top. I do not regret it at all...it was worth the money for peace of mind. The outside cats were no problem but the inside cats had never been chased by a rooster so they thought the chickens were game. I sat outside in a chair with the water hose on jet stream and everytime the cat would crouch to pounce I sprayed them. I never said a word. Now the cats think the chickens squirt water and they stay clear.

Back
Top Bottom