What kinda ducks are these?

Oblio13

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
New Hampshire
Someone just gave me half-a-dozen nearly-mature ducks that are supposedly random mixes of Cayuga, khaki Campbell and Rouen. I can see the khaki Campbell in a couple, but the others sure look like Swedish to me. Their black feathers do have that green Cayuga sheen, though. What sayeth the flock? And any guesses on sexes?

Attachments

• IMG_6918.jpeg
    IMG_6918.jpeg
    897.5 KB · Views: 24
The predominantly black ducks with the white are Rouen X Cayuga crosses. When you cross a mallard colored duck with a solid black you will get what is called "black self bibbed" and without a bibbed parent the bibs in crosses tend to not have as clean lines. The Rouen looking ones could be Khaki x Rouen or Rouen x Rouen because the mallard colored gene is dominant over khaki.

Someone just gave me half-a-dozen nearly-mature ducks that are supposedly random mixes of Cayuga, khaki Campbell and Rouen. I can see the khaki Campbell in a couple, but the others sure look like Swedish to me. Their black feathers do have that green Cayuga sheen, though. What sayeth the flock? And any guesses on sexes?
Very beautiful flock! The one on the far right definitely looks like a boy, the others, cant be certain. I do believe that you have multiple boys, but this is guessing. I personally don't believe they are all drakes, though. The best way to tell if if any quack, or if they all rasp/whisper.
Hens will quack/honk louder and clearer.

No loud quacks, just quiet peeping. I don’t know how old they are or if they are proto-quacks. Two of the four Swedish-looking birds have green bills. I might have to just be patient and wait until the first molt.

Attachments

• 5D9390DC-A22A-4432-8C54-5DE8604AFD33.jpeg
    5D9390DC-A22A-4432-8C54-5DE8604AFD33.jpeg
    612.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 8D6C097C-E140-4A3E-B7AE-6FADB5F8C0A3.jpeg
    8D6C097C-E140-4A3E-B7AE-6FADB5F8C0A3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Some do remind me a bit of the black Swedish, but I wouldn’t think they are. One looks real close to a rouen, but coloring isn’t consistent with what I have experienced. My best guess is they are just all “barnyard mix” and could all just be mutts. They are still some good looking ducks!

Back
Top Bottom