What kinda ducks are these?

Some do remind me a bit of the black Swedish, but I wouldn’t think they are. One looks real close to a rouen, but coloring isn’t consistent with what I have experienced. My best guess is they are just all “barnyard mix” and could all just be mutts. They are still some good looking ducks!

Drakes make very nice flocks if you want ducks as pets!! They are often more friendly with people than females, that can be skittish. Mine are all drakes!! If you do have any females you will have to separate them from the drakes when they mature from juvenile to adult. That might not be until next spring depending on where you live. My drake flock adult hormones kicked in in January this year and are waning now until next year's surge!

Your new ducks are gorgeous!!!

Last edited:
When they peep do any of them sound hoarse or raspy? Or are they very clear chirping peeps?
I can hear a few raspy, and THINK a few clear ones, but I'm not sure. It's difficult to tell because they're all very quiet and they're mixed in with a bunch of muscovies. I wonder if I'm being susceptible to confirmation bias - hearing what I want to hear.

You will know for certain within a few weeks!!

Females can be very noisy. Drakes chatter away to the flock sotto voce. My son has a female who was silent -- her flock mates were a very noisy little girl and a muscovy female. When the drake was moved to my home, the silent female took over responsibility for guarding the flock and found her voice! Three months later when the drake moved back she reverted to being silent. I guess, with a very noisy little sister, she had no need to make a sound but she does have a sound and will use it when needed!! We knew she was female from the get go as she didn't have drake feather and started laying eggs from 5 months old!

I can hear a few raspy, and THINK a few clear ones, but I'm not sure. It's difficult to tell because they're all very quiet and they're mixed in with a bunch of muscovies. I wonder if I'm being susceptible to confirmation bias - hearing what I want to hear.
I agree with @Miss Lydia you might have to pick them up to tell. Some females are quiet and rarely quack. I have a hen who the last time I heard her quack was over a year ago when I had to put her in a dog carrier for transport. Even if they are still peeping if the peep is hoarse at all it's fairly safe to say male.

Back
Top Bottom