what kinda Feed do you feed Bantam Hens?

If he gets about half of what he needs with grains and maybe some BOSS then the layer isn't that bad. With the other stuff cutting the calcium in the layer down to around two percent, that would make it an amount his kidneys can handle. But if you are adding grains and BOSS and no other protein then the protein will come out low for what his needs are. Have you compared the price of BOSS vs. flock raiser. The last time I was in Tractor Supply the BOSS was 20$ for 40lbs.

The nice thing about a Flock Raiser type feed is that you can cut it with cheaper scratch and that brings your cost down. It is 20% protein (FR).

corn = 7-9% protein
birdseed (millet) = 11% protein
wheat 12% or so protein
scratch usu. 10%, I believe
BOSS 16% protein

So you can aim for 15% for your buddy and he would love the variety.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that someone feeds their bantams, wild bird seed. Is this ok as a feed or treat? I've given them layer pellets so far. We got them last night at the auction

I read somewhere that someone feeds their bantams, wild bird seed. Is this ok as a feed or treat? I've given them layer pellets so far. We got them last night at the auction
As a treat it is fine. As the only thing they get, it may not be. Bird seed may be deficent in many of the neutrients they need.

Back
Top Bottom