What kinds of hens are these?

I get blue and brown eggs from the black and white and white hens… who could be laying which?
The black-and-white one is more likely to be laying the brown eggs, and the mostly-white one is more likely to be laying the blue eggs. ("More likely" is not the same as certain-- they could be the other way around.)

Brown- have not seen her lay an egg yet
She is likely to lay brown eggs, but blue or green or white is not impossible.

My new farm came with 3 chickens (pictured) what kind are they?
Whichever one lays blue eggs is an "Easter Egger." That means a chicken that lays blue or green eggs but does not belong to any specific breed.

The black-and-white one looks like a Barred Rock. Barred Rocks lay brown eggs. If she actually lays blue eggs, then she is really an Easter Egger, no matter how she looks.

The brown one looks a little like a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire, but she is either a poor-quality one (color is not quite right), or she is a mix of some sort. There are several common mixes that are part Rhode Island Red, so she could be one of those.

Last edited:
Looks to be Sussex, Rhode island red, and Dominique.
Hi all,

My new farm came with 3 chickens (pictured) what kind are they?

I get blue and brown eggs from the black and white and white hens… who could be laying which?
Brown- have not seen her lay an egg yet

Thanks!!
I'm thinking mutt for the first, rhode island red or rhode island red mix for the red, and Dominique or barred rock for the last.

Back
Top Bottom