What kinds of plants should I grow around the chicken's run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by M&KUrbanFarmers, Jul 2, 2011.

1. M&KUrbanFarmers

M&KUrbanFarmers New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    So our chicks are in the brooder now (5 days old). We live in zone 9 for plants. I've built a chicken tractor from recycled materials and a screened run from PVC, poultry fencing and garden shade cloth. We live in a medium-density urban area. The area of the yard where we plan on housing the chickens is mostly dirt, and has been fallow for a few years. I'm working now on getting everything set up for when we move the chicks outside. I know the chickens will enjoy the dirt for dust baths, but I'm wondering: what kinds of native, edible, or beneficial plants I might grow around the coop? I'm planning on planting a fig tree and a few seedless grape vines in the fall, but for this (hot) season I'm hoping to plant some fast growing flowers, vines, grasses that might help provide shade, a tasty snack, or to help lure insects. Because we're in the desert I'm hoping for some options that are especially drought tolerant. Thanks in advance for your suggestions

2. Gingerlilypad

Gingerlilypad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I planted tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash around my coop. Some grow inside and my chicks love it. Some grow outside, and I love it. These are water loving plants, so I water every day, unless it rains. It does make the leaves thick and lush. Not sure what to suggest for a drought area though. Gingerlilypad

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by