What kinds of Predators have taken your birds?

What Predators have you lost your birds to?

• Foxes

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Raccoons

Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Hawks and Falcons

Votes: 68 49.3%
  • Eagles

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other birds of Prey - Condors?

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Minks, Ermine, Martin other Weasely things

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • Bears

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Snakes and lizards

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Two Legged Predators

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Dogs

Votes: 61 44.2%
  • Cats

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Anthing else that wants a chicken dinner or egg breakfast?

Votes: 36 26.1%

• Total voters
Quolls, feral cats,wild dogs and foxes. We trapped a wild dog in our coop the other night. It had played with the latch so much it actually unlocked the cage and luckily we got there in time. It only killed one chicken. Very frustrating. We have had to pad lock all doors on all animal enclosures.

I've had a hen killed by a mink. I actually saw it run out of the coop. It just got one hen, and left it dead with a hole chewed in its neck.

You missed skunk. That's my Other Chicken Dinner Lovers vote

Mink took three first night I ever had birds outside. Large silver back male skunk took a pullet years later just before I locked them in and came back in daylight few days later facing off with an 8 lbs cock who was losing. Skunk was wearing it down making attacks at neck. He'd have bled out if I didn't literally push the offender out of the pen with hatchet. Not scared of me at all, perturbed his meal was thwarted it meandered slowly away.

Oh that's the worst... I'm sorry :( I've been lucky enough not to have experienced dog problems, but I know several folks who have. People that don't control their pets shouldn't have any!
I think that if you can't give a good home to an animal don't get one. I know this from experience- I want a dog sooooo bad but we can't afford to give one a good home.

dogs, coyotes, bobcats, falcons, ravens.
dog was my untrained puppy (she learned real quick)
coyotes are relentless have a pack of ten or more (gonna thin it out)
bobcat was taken care of (made a nice rug) even tho i lost a turkey and a Nigerian buck
falcon and ravens don't bother them anymore now that i have large animals.
all these losses have been over 9 years the bobcat was very recent as well as the coyotes
even tho my neighbor swears he seen a mountain lion we did have one here a couple years ago and the game warden relocated it.

I could have checked foxes and hawks but I only checked foxes because they have been successful. They're smart and sneaky and will definitely show you where the weaknesses are in your poultry protection system.
We've had hawk attacks but thankfully they have been unsuccessful.
We know there are other varmints around but they haven't mounted any kind of an attack at all. I could include skunks and raccoons in that category.

30-40 years ago a pair roaming dogs killed my entire flock. SSS'ed one of them and the other got away.
Several years ago one of my barn cats killed about 20 chicks over several weeks. SSS'ed her too when I caught her in the act.
Besides a few other random dog and possum incidents over the years, which SSS was applied, not much else has happened.

Back
Top Bottom