what lays strange looking eggs?

chickorama

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
We have been looking for chickens that lay out-of-the-ordinary-colored eggs. We already have a bunch of Americanas, and we're getting some Copper Marans in a few weeks. We just found out about Dorkings, too. Since we keep our chickens mostly for egg production, but they are also sort of our pets,we have been wondering if we should get some. Are they friendly? We don't want any really vicious chickens. Do you have any other suggestions for breeds that lay strange looking eggs, but are still sweet pets? We want consistent layers too.

The subject sounds like the start of a joke. I don't know... what does lay strange looking eggs?
hu.gif

You named the ones that I first thought of . There's also Welsummers that lay dark brown eggs. Salmon Faverolles lay lightly tinted eggs. The Barred Plymouth Rock can lay pinkish brown eggs (link to picture below).

I don't have the other kinds that I mentioned, but my BR is really a nice hen. Very calm and easily handled. She's not laying yet so I'll have to wait and see what her eggs look like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Anegg2.JPG

Thank you!!
we actually have two barred rocks who I forgot to mention, but we'll definitely think about the welsummers and the faverolles.

My Dorkings are very friendly, especially once they are older. As chicks mine are pretty flighty, but that's probably because I don't handle my chicks unless I have too.

I have never met a "vicious" Dorking. LOL Not even a non-handled rooster with 4" spurs that I used as my first breeding roo. My first breeding coop was built low so I had to get almost on my hands and knees and this roo never even acted like he was going to attack me, not once. My three hens would rather me not mess with them, but I credit this because they were raised with a few hundred other birds and they were not handled at all.

The hens I can pick up and handle without much fuss.

Their eggs don't look "strange" though. They are just medium sized white eggs. One of my hens lay golfball eggs, eggs almost the exact size and shape of a golfball. LOL Those are fun..

-Kim

You need some black cayuga ducks, they can lay a gray to a almost black egg and even green eggs, I have a hen that lays an almost black egg.....................

Back
Top Bottom