What Light Bulb Do You Need For The Brooder?

I used a 250 degree. I was doing it by the book for the first week and then I saw my neighbor's hen with her brood following on a 75 degree day. They were 5 days old and doing fine. But I realized that if they started to get cold Mom would call them and they would go back to the nest and she would warm them up. After that I kept it warm but it allowed me to be confident enough to take them outside.

I ran the lamp for 5 weeks and then went to just a normal light during the day and darkness at night. When my electric bill came in I was a bit surprised to see that it was over $30 higher for the first 4 weeks I ran the light. The light for the chicks was the only new thing. I guess a buck a day is ok.

Good luck with your chicks!

As others suggested be sure to use a thermometer and test your temperature before putting your chicks in. Before I got my first chicks I got the brooder all set up and decided to experiment with the light for a day or two before adding the chicks. Good thing I did, using the 250 watt bulb I got at the Co-op attached to a chair outside of the brooder several inches away, my thermometer topped out at 120 degrees (as high as it went) and got stuck and never came down so I had to throw it away and get another one. I really don't know how hot it got since it was stuck at the highest temp it registered. Luckily I had time to find a new bulb and adjust it before I too cooked some baby chicks.

As others suggested be sure to use a thermometer and test your temperature before putting your chicks in.  Before I got my first chicks I got the brooder all set up and decided to experiment with the light for a day or two before adding the chicks.  Good thing I did, using the 250 watt bulb I got at the Co-op attached to a chair outside of the brooder several inches away, my thermometer topped out at 120 degrees (as high as it went) and got stuck and never came down so I had to throw it away and get another one.  I really don't know how hot it got since it was stuck at the highest temp it registered.  Luckily I had time to find a new bulb and adjust it before I too cooked some baby chicks. 

Yes I Do Have A Thermometer It Read At Between 95-97 Degrees.
Is That Okay?

I used a 250 degree. I was doing it by the book for the first week and then I saw my neighbor's hen with her brood following on a 75 degree day. They were 5 days old and doing fine. But I realized that if they started to get cold Mom would call them and they would go back to the nest and she would warm them up. After that I kept it warm but it allowed me to be confident enough to take them outside.

I ran the lamp for 5 weeks and then went to just a normal light during the day and darkness at night. When my electric bill came in I was a bit surprised to see that it was over $30 higher for the first 4 weeks I ran the light. The light for the chicks was the only new thing. I guess a buck a day is ok.

Good luck with your chicks!

So The Bill Will Go Up? :eek: My Parents Are Going To Be Mad But At Least I Need It For A Month( Four Weeks.) Then They Will Be Able To Be Outside Well In A Brooder Outside.

Mine only had the bulb for about two weeks cause the house was about 80 degrees. They do better cooler than warmer it makes for stronger chicks. Should be no more than about 95deg. directly under the bulb. With a 100 watt bulb the electric bill should not go up by that much. I had a bulb in my incubator and one in the brooder and I didn't notice a jump in my bill. I cook my chicks at about 112. :( Mine were outside in the tractor at 3 1/2 weeks. It was close to 90deg during the day and 70 at night.

Mine only had the bulb for about two weeks cause the house was about 80 degrees. They do better cooler than warmer it makes for stronger chicks. Should be no more than about 95deg. directly under the bulb. With a 100 watt bulb the electric bill should not go up by that much. I had a bulb in my incubator and one in the brooder and I didn't notice a jump in my bill. I cook my chicks at about 112. :( Mine were outside in the tractor at 3 1/2 weeks. It was close to 90deg during the day and 70 at night.

Why Is It Better For Them To Be Cooler? Do They Grow Immunity? What Temperature Can They Stand Without Freezing?

I Kind Of Don't Want To Try This Cause It's My First Time And I Don't Want No Chick Deaths. :(

I think you are overanalyzing some of this. You won't know all the answers until you get some experience with your particular chicks and setup. You know they will need certain things such as a box, food, water and a light. Some chicks will tolerate cooler temps. Some won't. See what they do. If they look really tired or weak feed sugar water. If they don't, you probably dont need to.

It's great that you are researching everything before hand but leave a little room for the process of learning as you go!

It is a learning curve with chicks. I am still learning what I have to run my incubator at for a good hatch. I have pretty good luck with them if I can get them through the first 24hours after hatch. Just relax they really are very hearty animals and can stand alot of newbie mistakes.Some just dont hatch well and you may loose a couple out of no fault of your own. Keep updating us.!!!

I just wanted to add that in my experience, a chick light won't add as much at as $1 per day, that is how much it takes to keep my hot tub heated to 97 degrees each day. But of course everyone's circumstances are different.

Back
Top Bottom