What makes a rooster come at you...

Rufflemyfeathers

Songster
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Astatula Florida
What makes a rooster come at you... and peck at you as going out of the coop?? How do you stop it and why do they do it..It was third time has done that this last week..can full moon cause it or something else.

Last edited:
I agree with jenni2142 . Do not ever let a rooster treat you like that. Show him you are the boss with a swift kick in the butt!

I actually carry an old broom handle with me to my coop. When I see one of the roos try to "do his thing" with one of the hens, I knock him off. That is what the "head roo" will do in real life. I can't let him get my girl, so to speak. I have also been know to squirt them with water and in general, I take a run at them every couple of days to be sure they know I am boss.

My rule in general is, if he is a bad roo, he is dinner! (by the way - I tell my roos that! LOL)
big_smile.png

There is a great article on this site that may help you. I can not find the link now but maybe someone else will give it to you. Look in the learning section.

Roosters are usually trying to "protect" their hens. I don't really know if you can stop it but I've heard it can be hereditary so don't use him to breed hens if you don't like it.

An old, chicken keeping friend of mine told me that if a rooster attacks you, attack it stronger. Kick, yell, hold your arms out. But the best, if you can get your hand on it without it spurring you, grab it and carry it around by the feet for a couple minutes. Apparently that's very emasculating to a rooster.

imo/ime I think that if you have more then one they are more likely to do it. I remember we accidently had two at one point. I was rather young and terrified of them both. I spent that summer in the house
sad.png
(of course I chased his hens so I can understand him trying to protect them). Eventually we rehomed one of them and I remember it being better then.

I am going to read that article before I get any more (accidently or otherwise) and I will show my kids how to handle them too.

Back
Top Bottom