What Makes Your Eggs "Organic"

They Call Me Pete

Songster
13 Years
Mar 23, 2009
CT
Does your feed need to be certified organic ? Was at a farm yesterday and they had a sign organic eggs. That's what I'm guessing they are feeding to be able to sell them that way but wife wants to know
idunno.gif

If you feed your chickens organic food- you can say they are fed organic feed. That still does not make them organically certified eggs. The organic food is twice as much as regular. I feed it to mine and tell people they are happy, free range, organically fed chickens - but certification is complicated....

They didn't say "certified" so I'm guessing they are just feeding them organic commercial feed. I told my wife it's a complicated process to have them "certified" organic. Why doesn't she believe me
barnie.gif

Here in washington state being "organic" means that you passed certain inspections on your place, are fed only food from certain places that also passed the inspections, pay a certain amount of money each year to be "organic" etc. Most people just say "naturallly grown" , as there is no laws against that lol

I don't sell our eggs, so I don't care about being certified or the government's "rules." But our eggs ARE organic.
For me and my family, organic eggs means taking care of my birds without using toxic chemicals or harmful substances (whether they are organic or not), allow the hens to have regular access to grass, bugs, and the outdoors, and feeding them "certified" organic feed. I also compost their droppings back into the garden.

The government does have a rigid process for organic certification and I can understand why small farms don't get certified. I agree with Cindy in PA, but I don't feel like going to go on a rant about this morning. I could write a whole page of complaints.

Back
Top Bottom