What may hatch?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenAlgebra, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Have a BR sitting on eggs, hatching this weekend. Still not sure what we may see. Hens are blue JG/Orps or BR. Roo is a bantam frizzled lemon blue Cochin. Exactly what may the chicks look like?

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Genetic Soup?? [​IMG] Sorry, couldn't resist! They ought to be interesting though. [​IMG]

3. Hens are blue JG/Orps or BR. Roo is a bantam frizzled lemon blue Cochin.

From the blue JG/Orps x frizzled lemon blue Cochin, you'll get 50% blue, 25% splash, and 25% black chicks. A few should inherit the lemon / brown. Half should be frizzled.
    From the BR x frizzled lemon blue Cochin, you'll get 50% blue and 50% black chicks. The males will be barred (or blue barred) and the females will be black or blue. A few should inherit the lemon / brown. Half should be frizzled.
    They'll be cute chicks, for sure!
    Good luck with the hatch!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

4. ChickenAlgebra

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks! Wasn't sure she'd stay on the eggs, and the other hens are crazy broody, so didn't have known eggs for her. I think they are mostly JG/Orp eggs, have one blue out and more sounding active. She's got 14 that were good at day 5.

5. ChickenAlgebra

Mar 14, 2011
    Ok, I think my brain is fried, but 15 chicks. 6 splash, 9 blue. Ahem. Where are the black chicks, geesh. No blues with the barring head spots. Oh well, she's a good momma to the peeps so far.

6. Hi! Sounds like a great hatch, congratulations! I think those percentages only even out in 100's of chicks. If there were Barred Rock eggs in the mix, they all are girls (yaay!).
    Can't wait to see pics and get a count of how many are frizzled.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. ChickenAlgebra

Mar 14, 2011
    No camera yet [​IMG] How soon can we tell on the frizzled or not?

Not sure how many BR eggs were in there. Wtay protects the BR girls, but they aren't his favorite hens. Such a boy, loves the girls with the big butts and chests best [​IMG]

8. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Got those pictures yet?

9. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Okay long enough now, what'd you get?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by