What medicines/treatments should I have on hand for my new flock?

ChickRex

Chirping
5 Years
May 15, 2015
I've read too many posts where people are crossing their fingers that their chicks will live long enough for medicine to ship to them. It seems being proactive on having a stocked medical cabinet is the way to go. I'm not looking for everything under the sun but what are some good essential supplies I should keep on hand for my girls? Some kind of routine wormer? Corid? Sav a chick? Please share your expertise!

Anyone with turkeys should have metronidazole (Fish-Zole). Many will give me grief for saying this, but I also think having the antibiotic Baytril is a good idea. Easy to get, cheap, highly effective, can be given orally or by injection. Baytril is banned for use in poultry, so that's something everyone should think about before getting it.

-Kathy

Thanks for all the advice! Where are the cheapest places to pick this up? Amazon, local feed store, other?

Some of the stuff can be found at your local feed stores. Online, I like to order from Jeffers, First State Vet, Twin City Poultry Supplies, Premier, Cutler Supply, Revival Animal Health, QC Supply. I know there are more. All I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom