What might my chicks look like? Black Cochin X Dominique

Just candled the eggs again and all 10 are still developing and wiggling! Hopefully we'll have some fresh hatched babies by Saturday or Sunday!

:wee

We have babies!!! Five already. 3 already fluffed out, two just hatched under Mama. Several more of the eggs have pips in them already. At 10:30 this morning we had two eggs with definite pips and I checked a little before 3 and I saw these three fuzzies! I picked up mama and saw one fresh hatched and another pushing out of its shell. Of the fuzzies, one is clearly a male and 2 are female (sex links are fun!!!) They seem to all have fuzzy feet like their dad, but I don't think they will be as feathered because he had more feathering of the feet as a chick. Eeee! So happy to have new babies!
IMG_6125.jpg
IMG_6128.jpg

Here is what my 3 day old babies look like. I have some interesting variations. I think I have 5 pullets and 5 cockerels (one of the pullets is slightly questionable, I'll get to that later). 5 of the chicks have rose combs and 5 have straight, single combs. I think the ones with straight combs are from my Dom/buffs or Dom/RIR and the ones with rose combs are from my Doms. They all have little fuzzy feet like their father, but it is hard to see in these pictures since they were walking around in the wet grass this morning and their leg down isn't as easy to see.

I love the little spots on this little boy's cheeks.
IMG_6143.jpg

This little girl has a white tipped wings and a lot of white under her chin. She is so cute.
IMG_6144.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

This little boy is almost completely black. Except for the spot on the back of his head.
IMG_6147.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg

This is the questionable pullet. I can't really see a true spot on her head, but she is quite a few shades lighter than any of the other chicks. She is definitely more grey than black. I have one shot of the back of her head and I got one of the other pullets to stand next to her for two pictures to show the difference in color.
IMG_6149.jpg
IMG_6150.jpg
IMG_6152.jpg

Back
Top Bottom