What mite/parasite is this?

Clara Jones

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
Hi,
I have had these really pesky parasites for a while and I have tried almost everything, but they keep coming back.
I am not really sure what they are. I thought that they were mites but I can’t find any pictures that match. They don’t seem to drink my chickens blood just leave it looking dry and they stay around the bases of feathers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 7C2B1566-B4FA-4653-88AA-8C66CD5E62F4.jpeg
    7C2B1566-B4FA-4653-88AA-8C66CD5E62F4.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi,
I have had these really pesky parasites for a while and I have tried almost everything, but they keep coming back.
I am not really sure what they are. I thought that they were mites but I can’t find any pictures that match. They don’t seem to drink my chickens blood just leave it looking dry and they stay around the bases of feathers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Looks like lice.

Lice usually cause a clump of white to grey eggs at the base of feathers. Mites are different in appearance, tinier, and slower moving. Permethrin 0.5% spray and the garden dust both will treat lice or mites. Repeat treatment in 7 days for mites, or in 10 days for lice at least 2-3 times. Also the crop bedding needs to be removed and taken far away, and the coop, roosts, and nests need to be sprayed before new bedding is added. Both can be difficult to get rid of permanently. Here is a good read about lice and mites with pictures of what to look for:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Back
Top Bottom